Assembling Drum brakes Help!

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I'm looking for a guide or video to aid in assembling the Drum brakes for my rear. I have new shoes, drums, wheel cylinders and hardware kit. Ive never done drum brakes.

Also any special tools needed?

I'm not aware of anything specific to A-bodies, but I believe there are several Youtube videos of guys changing out their drum brakes. For the most part it's all going to be the same - at least the general process. If you can get hold of a FSM, it will give you some of the specifics.

I think there are (2) tools that are generally used: A big scissors-looking thing (brake spring tool) and another to set the retainer pins. They are both handy but I don't think they're absolutely critical and you can probably make-do with a variety of different pliers/clamps. I'm having a brain fart on the names right now. Need :coffee2:

I just did mine for the first time. Expect some busted knuckles (F*ng springs!), but otherwise it's perfectly do-able. I might recommend pulling one side apart at a time.....that way you have the other to look at for reference.

i just have backing plates there not on a car.

On another note the new wheel cylinder where it bolts in from the back it looks like its missing something?

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 158
Yeah. It's missin a bolt.

Yeah. Those are to push the brake shoes out. Nuthin is missing on the rear. Do you have the pins circled?

you need to remove them from the old wheel cylinder and put them on the new wheel cylinders

that photo is of these very brakes before I tore them down. And I just looked that the shoes and they do not have them pins. SO them pins need to come from somewhere.

that photo is of these very brakes before I tore them down. And I just looked that the shoes and they do not have them pins. SO them pins need to come from somewhere.

go back and look at the old wheel cylinders you took off they are pressed in and only held on by the rubber boot just twist and pull they will pop right off then you just push them on to the new wheel cylinders

im assuming they were trashed when I tossed the Wheel cylinders. But I have another set of backing plates and brakes are they the same?

im assuming they were trashed when I tossed the Wheel cylinders. But I have another set of backing plates and brakes are they the same?

are they the same size brakes?
if everything else is the same they should be also (I hope)

not sure if 9" and 10" use the same pins you can always try them and see if the work

brake022.jpg

yeah these are 10" as well everything on them is pretty much shot. but I think i can save them. These were complete and my wife moved the parts off the table and dont know where they are.

not sure if 9" and 10" use the same pins you can always try them and see if the work

Not sure if it matters, but when I did my 9" drums there were no pins (push rods?). As StrokerScamp mentioned, the shoe frame jutted out in this area and served the purpose.

I found my parts from the old brakes. Guess what the old wheel cylinders were in there and I got the pushrods. Joe thanks for the photo.

-
Back