Assembly lube

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm finally starting my engine assembly and need opinions on the lube to use for the bearings. Do I need to oil the cylinder walls before sliding pistions in? Any other tips are Greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have used permatex and red line and both worked fine for me. As far as the cylinder oiling it depends on the type of rings so check with the manufacturer. Keep in mind the type of rings used also require different honing finishes.

All I ever used is Vasoline. Been buildin engines and transmissions for almost thirty years and that's all I've ever used.....with the exception of camshaft break in lube. Never had narry a problem. It's cheap and the dollar store versions are the same thing minus some name brand price.

i have used white litheum grease before with no problems , usually use some form of assembly lube lately. and i always lightly oil the cylinder walls & piston shirts when assembling usually a low viscosity oil 5w30 or something

I use the permatex on bearings and non-detergant motor oil for break in.. Yeah I know, theres razzle dazzle break in oil additives out there these days, use what you like, I'll stick with the advise from my old machine guy who has built over 800 race engines....

Maybe it's "razzle dazzle," but I know quite a few cam manufacturers will not honor the warranty if you don't purchase / use their cam break in lube these days.

Maybe it's "razzle dazzle," but I know quite a few cam manufacturers will not honor the warranty if you don't purchase / use their cam break in lube these days.

Puzackly. That's cause most all today's oils are pretty much crappola and zinc free. The camshaft lube is important to use cause it's loaded up with zinc compounds and hearty goodness that cams and lifters just love.

OK the first general rule is: NEVER ASSEMBLE ANYTHING DRY!!!

I've used "Bat's Blood" (Permatex Ultra-Slick or Torco MPZ) on several engines, and always had good luck. It's somewhat sticky so it stays put until it gets washed off by hot oil. Great for cams, lifter faces, valvetrain parts, and other pieces that only get indirect lubrication.

Cylinder walls get a wipe with oil, and the pistons get dunked before installation. Timing chain also gets dunked.

For bearings, it depends on weather or not I will be running the oil pump. If I prime, I generally just oil them well. If not, or if the engine will sit a long time before it's run, I use the goo.

I have also used the Lubriplate white grease, and a 50-50 mix of oil and STP. Most cams come new with a Moly EP grease packet which is enough to do the cam lobes.

I'll take my chances... If the cam company wants to send out a tech guy to watch me break it in, then I'll use it...

I have been using that STP oil treatment on my 318 build. That stuff is very think, like syrup.

-
Back