Assistance in Grand Rapids???

-

swisswill

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right forum, if not can one of the mods move it please?

Here's what I've got. I have a 69 Dart in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I am currently living, working, and going to school in Zurich, Switzerland, pretty cool place actually. I have begun reworking my car when I am home for holidays or whenever and this holiday season I was planning on doing the floors, frame connectors, spring boxes, and possibly a mini-tub if time were to permit. Unfortunately I don't have a welder nor experience using one so a couple months ago I began looking for someone in the area that could do this work with my assistance, watching, and learning. I found someone in Holland who was willing and able, we set an hourly rate, and made plans to reconnect as it got closer. I just found out that he is no longer able to do this so I'm looking for someone again and figured I'd throw it out to the FABOer's. SO, if there is anybody in the Grand Rapids area looking to make some extra cash over the holidays and is willing to work with me on this project, I would appreciate the assistance. I'll supply the gutted car, parts, pizza (or whatever) and warm or cold beverages (or whatever), you supply the technical know-how and a welder. If you're interested feel free to shoot me a PM and we can discuss details over email or I can call via Skype. I'm collecting parts and building a driver so perfection isn't necessary, but quality is appreciated. Thanks, Will

Will, I can't help being in New York, but, if you pick up a welder, lets just say from Sears, they come with a instruction booklet on how to use the welder and weld. They give illistrations on what the beed should look like, how to hold the welder gun and what angle and direction to weld in.

My welds look alot like Fido's butt. But that is a beginners result. Grab a few extra rolls of wire and make a trip down to the local metal store and ask for scrap metal. They drop the price for there junk and even a tad more if you tell'em your useing it to learn how to weld.

Practice practice and practice. You'll get it.

Thanks Rumblefish. An investment into a welder is definitely coming soon, maybe sooner than expected. I'll be back in June as well and will be practicing then while building a rotisserie and installing my street lynx. The schedule I'm on to get my project finished is why I'm looking for assistance this first go around. I have plenty of other welding on this project that I'll be tackling, so I'm definitely not getting out of that task. I'm going to be learning first hand why most seem to hate bodywork so much, I'm sure I'm in for quite an education. If I can't find anyone, then it's off to Sears or Home Depot I go and we'll see what happens.

-
Back