At 400+hp, What kills A904s?

-
I will make it super simple for you....if someone wants to run a 4 speed for the fun factor, great, I have a couple 4 speed cars and they are fun but I don't race them or even have them in very rowdy street strip cars but some do......in regards to the 904 they are a phenomenal transmission and are way faster than a 727 and safer and I dare say that 90 plus percent of the stock eliminator guys that have to technically run a 727 case have 904 guts on the inside as they are obviously lighter which simply equates to a faster overall package. The argument of it can't live over a certain power level is a moot point as every part of these cars can say the same thing and as power increases things need to be modified appropriately.
WHAT are you making simple for me? I posted recommendations for the op. "I guess I’d like to know how to be kind to this thing and minimize the conditions that kill them until I’ve saved up enough cash for the manual swap." But as RRR posted, "traction and low gears will kill it eventually". Unless the local shop specializes in 904s, it's going to die sooner than later. That would involve about $2k in upgrades. What are your suggestions to make it live? Wait until it does die? When it does you can save some time by quoting my recommendations. Post #35...or he could just contact ProTrans where the prices start at $2K (without valve body) and go up from there. How much did you pay for your Pro Trans 904? $4500? (Insert Final Jeopardy music here, while we wait and see if op comes up with the four speed changeover money before his 904 shucks its guts all over the street).

Cuz you can't bolt them to a big block or a hemi...if you could they'd be all over the track. It's a small block tranny that started life as a slant six tranny. Nobody wants to post prices on these "indestructible" 904s...Is it $4500 for a "good" one? $6000 for the best? You can't even rev a stock one over six grand without shifting into third by itself. You 904 fanatics always act like a stock 904 is bulletproof and when anybody questions you on upgrade prices, you run for cover. How much is it for a 727 billet drum and bolt in sprag? Oops, can't take the extra tenth in the quarter?

That's a useful thread. Five thin Red eagles and kevlar band...just like I said. That's how I build EVERY V8 904 for $600. Same deal on the 727. But the 727 will take twice the power.

WHAT are you making simple for me? I posted recommendations for the op. "I guess I’d like to know how to be kind to this thing and minimize the conditions that kill them until I’ve saved up enough cash for the manual swap." But as RRR posted, "traction and low gears will kill it eventually". Unless the local shop specializes in 904s, it's going to die sooner than later. That would involve about $2k in upgrades. What are your suggestions to make it live? Wait until it does die? When it does you can save some time by quoting my recommendations. Post #35...or he could just contact ProTrans where the prices start at $2K (without valve body) and go up from there. How much did you pay for your Pro Trans 904? $4500? (Insert Final Jeopardy music here, while we wait and see if op comes up with the four speed changeover money before his 904 shucks its guts all over the street).
Buy the best.....cry once.....if a lot of people looked back at when they started with a cheap option and it failed and then maybe they decided to try and build one themselves to save money and it fails and then finally you buy the best and be done with it you are cheaper in the long run to just "buy the best cry once"

You 904 freaks are afraid to post their prices. Your posts should be in the Racer's Forum. I don't understand why you are in here with your $4,500 racing trannys. Maybe nobody will listen to you in the Racer's Forum. WHY ARE RACERS IN HERE?

You 904 freaks are afraid to post their prices. Your posts should be in the Racer's Forum. I don't understand why you are in here with your $4,500 racing trannys. Maybe nobody will listen to you in the Racer's Forum. WHY ARE RACERS IN HERE?

The sting of the price is long gone when the cheap junk fails.

There is price and there is value. They ain’t the same thing.

Talk of a $4,000 transmission belongs in the Racers Forum. Most of the op's on here just want a babysitter to tell them why their TF is dumping "red stuff" all over their driveway and they have to hurry up and fix it before the wifey divorces them"...Somebody own stock in a racing tranny company?.. There's a place for $4,000 904s; and it ain't on the street. Check out my posts in the Racers Forum...there ain't any.

Talk of a $4,000 transmission belongs in the Racers Forum. Most of the op's on here just want a babysitter to tell them why their TF is dumping "red stuff" all over their driveway and they have to hurry up and fix it before the wifey divorces them"...Somebody own stock in a racing tranny company?.. There's a place for $4,000 904s; and it ain't on the street. Check out my posts in the Racers Forum...there ain't any.

That’s your number. If you can’t build a 904 for less than that that will live, you may be in the wrong line of work.

After reading your posts I was kind of wondering if you had some sort of mental disorder but then I reminded myself where you live and now all my questions have been answered.

You guys sure do waste a lot of posts NOT stating the price you paid for your racing 904s...What's up with that? VERY suspicious. I've seen them for $4K and more. How much was YOURS?? OR should I post that question in the Racers Forum??

You guys sure do waste a lot of posts NOT stating the price you paid for your racing 904s...What's up with that? VERY suspicious. I've seen them for $4K and more. How much was YOURS?? OR should I post that question in the Racers Forum??
I have 3 of them all identical, 2 are in cars and i have 1 sitting on the shelf just because.....3700 dollars a piece.....happy now? I sure am..... as I race it, street drive it and pound the balls off of it and have zero problems.

I'm sure they're well worth it for what you're using them for, but I believe that most of the readers here are more interested in an economical way to have a reliable transmission; since most of their cars are street driven. (As far as you having 'zero problems', the jury's still out on that one!...but keep beating your balls and things might improve!) My intent in this thread was to inform the op what methods I would suggest to make his trans last a little longer; since I believe it's not long for this world, and to recommend the 727 for street beaters as the best choice for longevity; cost considering.

@lead69 gave you a link how to do it. Your 4k number is silly.

3-4K for a 904 streeter Yikes. I build mine like the 904 race recipe.

Learn to do them on your own, they aren't hard.

Same ol' **** in these threads.

I honestly probably don't have $500 in my 904 not including converter and like said before it gets beat on and has been in the car untouched for 10 plus years behind a 408 stroker. Works for me that's all I care about. Only thing I own that has a 727 is my 340 swinger if it wasn't a numbers car it would have a 904 also.

3-4K for a 904 streeter Yikes. I build mine like the 904 race recipe.

Learn to do them on your own, they aren't hard.

Same ol' **** in these threads.
That is with billet input and output shafts and transbrake which most street driven cars wouldn't probably have but 1 car is mid 700's and the other is higher 900's and so necessary for reliability at those levels and yeah I do like to street drive as well as I get more use out of the cars that way.......wear parts out quicker? I suppose that is true to a degree but i'm not financially strapped so life is short and I don't care. I also have a basically stock nicely done 71 Demon 340 with a 4 speed that is obviously a much better street car and I drive it a bunch but it's hard to ignore the lack of power when compared to the other ones.

That is with billet input and output shafts and transbrake which most street driven cars wouldn't probably have but 1 car is mid 700's and the other is higher 900's and so necessary for reliability at those levels and yeah I do like to street drive as well as I get more use out of the cars that way.......wear parts out quicker? I suppose that is true to a degree but i'm not financially strapped so life is short and I don't care. I also have a basically stock nicely done 71 Demon 340 with a 4 speed that is obviously a much better street car and I drive it a bunch but it's hard to ignore the lack of power when compared to the other ones.

A friend of mine has snapped a couple OE input shafts in 904's pushing more than 650. Same deal, put a billet input shaft in it. Just another deal with working what you want to in these cars.

Pick your parts, pay your money!

Same thing that kills em at 150 hp only quicker. Go 727.

-
Back