At home tranny rebuild?

-
The 727 video looks like a good buy but are the specs the same as a 904? I wouldnt mind getting the video but I would like the specs to be there :D

the video does not cover the 904, but the 904 in theory is just a smaller 727...

there is a few things different...the 727/904 ATSG manual covers the 904 in the manual...

Well, the rebuild is going to be a little more interesting than I thought. It seems someone has been inside the tranny already. The front clutchs look brand new, there was no rear clutches at all, and one of the bands was gone. I disassembled everything and I don't see any major concerns yet. I will just follow the book and make sure all the parts are there! Waiting for the shim kit, washers, and Trans-go 2. I think I will upgrade to a bolt in Sprague and put 12 springs in the pack, with a higher ratio arm, so I'll have to place another order.

OK - Anyone know a resource for 727 TF parts? I checked the ones listed but can't seem to find what I need. I am looking for the spacer ring that goes in the rear clutch assembly and the "wave" locking ring that sits on top of it! I did order the bolt-in sprag, the 5:1 kickdown, and a few other goodies too! That's the bad thing about ordering from Summit, If I'm going to have and type all that information, I mind as well order more. (At lease that's what I'll tell my wife!)LOL :-D

What your getting into is in my opinion the absolute easiest trans. to rebuild.

When you rebuild it make sure and replace all the thrust washers and bushings and set all the clearances properly which is a lot tighter than the factory serv. manual specs. Not knocking Ma Mopar but the specs are unbelievably loose in the service manual. Always air pressure check each item (clutch packs, servo's) before and after final assy. (but before you install the valve body) that way you know it'll all work right in the end. And buy a shim pack to shim up the excess play in the gear train assy. so it's not slapping all over the place. I buy most of my parts from www.bulkpart.com as their prices are about the best I can find and they have a nice selection of stock to high perf. stuff.

My suggestion is to buy this book (see link below) and use the specifications it says and your torqueflite will not only work better but last at least twice as long

Amazon.com: Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook HP1399: How to Rebuild or Modify Chrysler's A-727 Torqueflite for All Applications (0075478013999): Carl Munroe: Books

It's chocked full of great information about the Torqueflite and improvements you can do. The guy is a great writer too. Very easy to understand. Ton's of pics of the different variation's of torqueflites built.

If you need any information or just want to BS about them feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help. I've been doing them for over 25 yrs.

This is the best Book you can buy for money! I bought it and rebuild and tuned my 727 at the last weekend! It´s not so difficult as i thought!
You can see it here:

http://www.tomscorner.de.tl/Getriebe-TF-727.htm

If you are not a two left hand guy, you can do it! Just take care that you let the clutch and the bands fully soak with transoil...maybe lay them in transoil for a night.

OK - Anyone know a resource for 727 TF parts? I checked the ones listed but can't seem to find what I need. I am looking for the spacer ring that goes in the rear clutch assembly and the "wave" locking ring that sits on top of it! I did order the bolt-in sprag, the 5:1 kickdown, and a few other goodies too! That's the bad thing about ordering from Summit, If I'm going to have and type all that information, I mind as well order more. (At lease that's what I'll tell my wife!)LOL :-D

Here ya go.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=A727

They have a bunch of transmission parts for most any trans. I'm sure they have the spacer but I didn't see it listed, unless I overlooked it. Call them and they'll be able to set you up with just about anything you'll ever need. They just don't have everything listed online. Prices are real good too. If they don't have the "wave" ring let me know and I can send you one. Thought I put that in my last PM. Maybe you didn't get it for some reason.

Thanks for the offer fishy68, I have to get some other stuff so I'll let you keep your spare wave ring. I did contact "Mike" at transpartsonline.com. He had stuff I could not locate thru qnypone else. Great guy to work with so far. Hopefully I will get my rings, spacer, and 4.2 kickdown early next week and can finish this build. It will be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to test run, I'm dressing up th engine compartment, engine, swapping rearends, etc....... To be continued!

Hell that looks like a Snap on tool compared to the one I made. I'm not home to take pictures but I used a tool meant to compress the steering wheel locking plate on a column, the one that looks like a horse shoe, I then ran a piece of all thread thru it with a lage washer at the bottom. This way when you run the nut down it will hold it in compressed state to install the snap ring. Cheap but works great.

I used a couple three big C clamps. :-D

Thanks for the offer fishy68, I have to get some other stuff so I'll let you keep your spare wave ring. I did contact "Mike" at transpartsonline.com. He had stuff I could not locate thru qnypone else. Great guy to work with so far. Hopefully I will get my rings, spacer, and 4.2 kickdown early next week and can finish this build. It will be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to test run, I'm dressing up th engine compartment, engine, swapping rearends, etc....... To be continued!

Your welcome. Glad Mike was able to fix you up. He's always been good to me.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/TF8_A727_transmission_springs_s/9259.htm

Old Mopar mechanic here. Yes, you can do this at home. Go for it! The only tool needed is the clutch spring compressor that the boys have already recommended.Make one for yourself.

you dont need a spring compressor for the rear clutch...only the front..

which i know you surely know...lol

This compressor should work, but is built upside down to me. Nut with threads for compressing should be on the top for ease of use, not on the bottom.

-
Back