Attach tachometer without drill the dashboard.

-

Jonny Shark

Banned
Reaction score
Just curious as to where some of you have mounted tachs in your mopars. I bought the autometer C2 and I would like to mount it more permanently as I will not be drilling holes in my new dash pad once I decide to put it in. I was thinking about making a bracket to come through the map light plate or through the vent block off plate and had thought I'd seen pics of both. Any input or pics are always appreciated!

Thanks

Jhonny

I made a plate that is kind I j shaped that hooks under the front of the dash pad, goes over it and then the tach and gauges mount to it. I used 1/16 aluminum and it works great. Hid the wires in the pillar and have a loom cover over the wires on the dash. Easily slides out for maintenance and no holes drilled at all. There should be a pic in my photos. Hope it helps.

I made a plate that is kind I j shaped that hooks under the front of the dash pad, goes over it and then the tach and gauges mount to it. I used 1/16 aluminum and it works great. Hid the wires in the pillar and have a loom cover over the wires on the dash. Easily slides out for maintenance and no holes drilled at all. There should be a pic in my photos. Hope it helps.

X2 did same thing works awesome!

Sorry, no pics, so I hope I describe it well enough.
Back in the very early '70s - well before the craze to mount gauges to the A-pillar - I mounted my tach up on the sunvisor bracket/clip that was also used for storing the shoulder belt in my old '69 340 Swinger. It put the tach at the top of the A-pillar and was very easily seen. The wiring ran down the inside of the A-pillar.
I was stopped one time by an over-zealous Calif. Highway Patrol and told it blocked my vision and was given a "fix-it" ticket. So I wired in a 4-prong plug, tucked the plug away so it couldn't be seen and took the car to the CHP to clear up the ticket. After it was signed off, I walked back out to my car in the CHP parking lot, plugged the tach in and drove away.

On my dart I devised a bracket that bolted up inside the dash behind the heater control panel. Came straight out from behind it and I attached a large tach. This was so it was close to the dash line so as to not be too far out of line of sight but no holes drilled that are visible.

On my current project, I did not want to drill holes in the dash either, so I mounted it to the steering column with a worm gear clamp.

:burnout:
Here's a pic of the dart to give you an idea of what the bracket looked like....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 558
Wow your pretty.
Was there a car in the background?
:glasses7:

Not me I'm an ugly old man

Just had that picture on I pad and showed tach

Got her to sit in car for photo to go I'm hot Mopar babe thread.

She actually owns a 69 Z28 that she and her uncle raced. Her stepdad has many Mopars including a numbers matching 68 Hemi Roadrunner

Guys, Thanks for all the opnions and ideas...I was looking for the best bracket to buy or to build but I had luck and just found this piece of metal in my garage...I have no idea from where it came , but I just painted it with black paint and attached under my dashboard...looks pretty good for me and it`s doesn`t slide or shake. What do you guys think about it?

Attachments

• IMG_4482.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_4483.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_4484.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4485.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_4486.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_4487.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_4488.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 465
Yes byddy, thanks !!
I saw couple people just selling brackets for something around $25,00...it`s not complicate to build too.

-
Back