Attaching new wire to original antenna

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
Having trouble finding the right connector for the ol' antenna. The original wire wasn't completely there and had been cut. I ran a new wire from the radio to the inner fender.

The problem is that no one has the right size adapter to plug into the original antenna base. The adapter I bought is too small (photo 2). Does anyone know where I could get the right one?

The last photo shows the final connection that goes to the radio.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 125
I guess the wire was originally directly attached there. So there isn't an adapter that exists!

I don't remember, it was either permanent, or a proprietary connector. Show us a picture of the original?

You may be able to "rework" it.

These antennas, unlike stuff like VHF communications antennas, are not tuned or matched and the coax is a weird "high impedance" crap. They used to have a large hollow insulator in the cable with a fairly tiny wire inside.

Main problem with trying to re--work something like what you have there, is that if corrosion and moisture has worked down between the antenna and the base, you may have some amount of conductivity, that is a "high impedance short."

If you can, run down a buddy with what is called a "megger," a high voltage ohmmeter, and check from the center to the base to make sure it's OK

Thanks. I took it out a while back. Was just a small section and couldn't join it to the new one. I don't remember a connector tho or I prob would have saved it.

Might just try to electrical tape it again. I got one AM station to come in. I compared it to a new antenna I bought at the auto store and it was the same.

-
Back