Attn Swinger owners

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
I know we have covered this before but here goes again, what is the widest tire and rim/backspace on a stock wheel tub you have fit? Pics would be helpful :D Thanks

1974 Pntastar, sorry about that-so just to clarify a 255/60/15 will fit with stock tubs, stock rear on a 15x7 with 4.5 bs? Also i hear people say they "roll" the wheel lip. Does anyone have a picture of this? Thanks to all who replied and thats a nice looking dart Pntastar!

70 swinger / 15x8.5 with 5.5 back set springs relocate 3 in on each side 275 60 15 tire 1/2 inch clearance all around fits in side the wheel well just fine pics are posted under sixpakmopar

I know I cannot fit a 255/60 on mine but have heard others w/70 on up, no issues. Wheel lips seem to be lower.

With a 15*8 5.5 backspace Pro Star and a 3/8" to 1/2" spacer, I can fit this tire in my 71:

27 *10.5 * 15 ET Street

Note however, that those measurements are larger than the actual tire. Its more of an 8" slick with bulgy sidewalls. It is close.

I have rolled the fenderlips and have B-Body drum brakes on the back. I also have monoleafs. Also, now that the tires have some passes and the sidewalls have softened a bit, I am getting a bit of rub on the springs. Bascially the lettering has rubbed off of the inside of the tires.

I tried the 28.0 * 9 * 15 slick and it would not go.

Also, this tire seems about the biggest i can actually wiggle into the wheelwell with the long studs on the axles. I think if I went bigger I would need my axle to drop further so I could actually get it in there!

Before rolling the lips, and with 1/4" spacers on the same wheels, I could fit these tires with no issues - still had the monoleafs though.

Mickey Thompson 255/60/15 Drag radial

I am *very* frustrated with the tire options for this body style. If I wouldn't have to re-buy my monoleafs and cal-tracs, I would have relocated the springs already.

Steve

I know I cannot fit a 255/60 on mine but have heard others w/70 on up, no issues. Wheel lips seem to be lower.

1/4 should be the same on all 67-76 Swingers as far as I know. All they changed in 70 other than maybe the side marker location was the front and rear clips. Wells should be the same.

Only thing I can think of yould be your car has the production tolerences stacked against it or you need a different BS on your rims.

I need to check my tire size. I have 15 x 8.5 with a 4 7/8 backspacing. The lip is rolled. We are talking maybe a 3/8 space to the leaf spring and my car has the superstock springs which raises it up. Note: 73 swinger, lower tire pressure the tires rub, to remove the wheels I have to jack up the body to clear the fenders. I think 15 x 8.0 with a 4 3/4 spacing might be better. maybe? Check, measure, check, measure again !

Sorry for big picture, but wanted to show as much as i could. I have a 15 x 8 Draglights with a 255/60/15. (yes tire was a little low in this photo) I think the wheel has a 4.5 in backspace

I did have to trim the outside lip however

dart1.jpg

You would be best to take your own measurements for backspacing etc as there are subtle differences in everybody's car. I know 4.5 backspacing with a 7 inch wheel and a 245 tire would be rubbing against the springs on my 69.

You would be best to take your own measurements for backspacing etc as there are subtle differences in everybody's car. I know 4.5 backspacing with a 7 inch wheel and a 245 tire would be rubbing against the springs on my 69.

I'm running that combo on my 68 dart. No problems at all.

-
Back