Auburn type sure grip?...

-

75Dart440

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought an 8 3/4 assembly from a swap meet. I took it apart and found it is an Auburn type. I dont know hardly anything about it. Can someone explain it to me. Also it has some scoring on the cones....

I,ve seen many with the scoring on the cones.You can buy an installation kit for it.The front yoke bearing is probably toast,causing the scoring.If you don,t have the skills to rebuild it,take the chunk(center)to a good trans shop for a rebuild.:read2:

Although the Auburn sure grip is considered a superior design by the engineers at Chrysler, it gets a bad rap among the Mopar faithful as being unrebuildable. This is not the case though, as long as the case is not scored. The cone is designed to be pressed against the side of the case by pressure and as more pressure is applied, more force is exerted against the cone and case making it lockup under load, unlike the clutch style which uses a series of clutches and plates and spring pressure to do the same job. The bad rap in the Auburn style over the ClutchPak style is that the clutches and plates are easily replaced, while the cone is supposedly not. Bottom line though, clutches slip, the cone will not!!! As the side of the cone wears, the clearance between the bottom of the cone and the bottom of the case decreases until the cone eventually bottoms out on the bottom of the case and all side load application is eliminated. The repair is to catch this before bottoming out and destroying the thickness of the cone. Then, with the unit dis-assembled, the thickness of the cone is machined from the bottom to re-gain the needed clearance and the removed material is made up in the form of shims applied to the top side of the cone. Of course, you can also just replace the cone, which until recently was not available.

Hope this helps, Geof

-
Back