Audio Speaker Information

-

Jeff Clay

Reaction score
I want to purchase 6X9 rear speakers for my 1970 Dodge Dart but not sure what brand to buy. Thought I would ask you guys what type of rear speaker your using. I want a good sounding base, but I am open to you thoughts. If you could provide me with manufacture type (Kenwood, Panasonic, Alpine, Polk, etc.) and product part number I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks...

Any good brand name these days is pretty good. Adding a small amplifier to them will be even better. Really clean up the sound.

I have a set of JBL GTO939's that have been great. I have also heard really good performance from Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, and JL Audio 6x9's.

I have the JBL GTO series too. Sounds pretty good. There have been times I wish they had a little more punch, but I'm not running and amp. Adding that would probably help. Building in some boxes around them would probably help too.

Hi All,

Here is the eBay review I left for the speakers I just put in my Duster...

Jul 13, 2018
  • Second Set I Have Purchased...Highly Recommend...

This is the second set of these I have purchased, the first set was for my '96 Caprice (these were a direct fit in the package tray/shelf) and I liked them so much that I purchased this set for my '70 Plymouth Duster, also for the package shelf. These required me to slightly bend the entire factory openings to get them to fit, and drill a single hole in the shelf for each speaker since the mounting screw holes were off by about an 1/8" from the factory holes. I also painted the grilles using Year One interior paint (prep was completely washing with dish soap and an abrasive brush - dishwasher type) and the grilles took the paint nicely. One thing I did have to do is use spacers to get the grille mounts down to the package tray...Sound & build quality is excellent, and you get a lot of music out of a relatively small package.

Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New

I guess I should have added the info...LOL

JVC CS-DR6930 500-Watt Peak 70-Watt RMS 6" x 9" 3-way Coaxial Speakers

I have the JBL GTO series too. Sounds pretty good. There have been times I wish they had a little more punch, but I'm not running and amp. Adding that would probably help. Building in some boxes around them would probably help too.

Correctly vented enclosures make a HUGE difference in how speakers perform in the low end tones.
I run in each triangular vented box a 10, a 4 and a high range tweeter in the back and 2 six inchers in vented inclosures in the front and it sounds great even without an amp. (it doesn't need it)
The two larger vented boxes are under the 6x9 cutouts in the back deck that is covered with speaker face material so it looks like there is nothing there on the inside of the car.
The bass is great, and the mid/high's have no problem making it up through there.

There are a couple of people on here that have heard it, but that would be the only proof I have.:D

Last edited:
Correctly vented enclosures make a HUGE difference in how speakers perform in the low end tones.
I run in each triangular vented box a 10, a 4 and a high range tweeter in the back and 2 six inchers in vented inclosures in the front and it sounds great even without an amp. (it doesn't need it)
The two larger vented boxes are under the 6x9 cutouts in the back deck that is covered with speaker face material so it looks like there is nothing there on the inside of the car.
The bass is great, and the mid/high's have no problem making it up through there.

There are a couple of people on here that have heard it, but that would be the only proof I have.:D

Can you post up some pictures when you get a chance?

Kicker 6x9s from wally world are about $60. Another $100 for a kicker 250 watt amp. Mount them in the stock cut outs with a pair of plastic enclosures. WOW!!!! Over 3 years now and sound super clear and hit hard

Kicker 6x9s from wally world are about $60. Another $100 for a kicker 250 watt amp. Mount them in the stock cut outs with a pair of plastic enclosures. WOW!!!! Over 3 years now and sound super clear and hit hard

Where do you find the plastic enclosures. Sounds like what I am looking for!

I got mine at wally world but it was the only pair they had at the time for 6x9s. Haven't looked for them lately but you shouldn't have much trouble finding them. Maybe an auto zone or a localcar audio store. They're prettycheap and made a night a,d day difference. Push the sound into the interior instead of the trunk.

I got mine at wally world but it was the only pair they had at the time for 6x9s. Haven't looked for them lately but you shouldn't have much trouble finding them. Maybe an auto zone or a localcar audio store. They're prettycheap and made a night a,d day difference. Push the sound into the interior instead of the trunk.

Cool! Thanks. I'll take a look and see what I can find

I have to side with TrailBeast and 65Val on this one...
But the question that begs an answer is, what are you looking for?
If you just want to hear your favorite music while cruising around... Just a head unit and speakers? then just about any of the suggestions will work.
But if you have finer tastes in music quality, the game is changed. The term, 'you get what you pay for' never rang so true as in audio equipment.
If you want well balanced sound in just a head unit and speakers, Alpine head units are very hard to beat. They have sophisticated equalization capability, so you can tune out any resonances, and they also incorporate audio expansion to make up for cab anomalies to provide excellent stereo imaging.
Speaker wise, pay close attention to how deep the frequency response goes, and buy accordingly. This will provide the bass you're looking for. Again, Alpine, and also Infinity Kappa series, and Polk are all good choices. So does JL. Not to leave out JBL...
A word about the 6x9 composite back enclosures... The only way I would use these is to add damping material to the inside of the enclosure to 'weed out' any harsh resonances that will reflect back into to the cone and blast your ears. Otherwise, running them 'free-air' will allow free movement of the cone, for the bass you're looking to hear, AND midrange resonances will be dispersed into your trunk space. The Dbl edged sword here is, your exhaust note will be reflect through the cone too. Lining your trunk with DynaMat will help. Something to think about..
A secondary word about enclosures.... especially with subs. UNLESS you have the Thiele Parameters for the driver you are using, do not simply stuff a driver into a generic subwoofer enclosure. (Google Thiele Parameters, you'll see what I mean.) This IS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I've seen guys make for more than 30 yrs.
Thankfully, SOME subwoofer mfg's are giving 'suggested enclose size' for their drivers. But most of the time, it can be improved upon by a larger enclosure. Especially 'closed box'.
There is A LOT more to this, but I don't feel like typing out books worth of info.

I have to side with TrailBeast and 65Val on this one...
But the question that begs an answer is, what are you looking for?
If you just want to hear your favorite music while cruising around... Just a head unit and speakers? then just about any of the suggestions will work.
But if you have finer tastes in music quality, the game is changed. The term, 'you get what you pay for' never rang so true as in audio equipment.
If you want well balanced sound in just a head unit and speakers, Alpine head units are very hard to beat. They have sophisticated equalization capability, so you can tune out any resonances, and they also incorporate audio expansion to make up for cab anomalies to provide excellent stereo imaging.
Speaker wise, pay close attention to how deep the frequency response goes, and buy accordingly. This will provide the bass you're looking for. Again, Alpine, and also Infinity Kappa series, and Polk are all good choices. So does JL. Not to leave out JBL...
A word about the 6x9 composite back enclosures... The only way I would use these is to add damping material to the inside of the enclosure to 'weed out' any harsh resonances that will reflect back into to the cone and blast your ears. Otherwise, running them 'free-air' will allow free movement of the cone, for the bass you're looking to hear, AND midrange resonances will be dispersed into your trunk space. The Dbl edged sword here is, your exhaust note will be reflect through the cone too. Lining your trunk with DynaMat will help. Something to think about..
A secondary word about enclosures.... especially with subs. UNLESS you have the Thiele Parameters for the driver you are using, do not simply stuff a driver into a generic subwoofer enclosure. (Google Thiele Parameters, you'll see what I mean.) This IS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I've seen guys make for more than 30 yrs.
Thankfully, SOME subwoofer mfg's are giving 'suggested enclose size' for their drivers. But most of the time, it can be improved upon by a larger enclosure. Especially 'closed box'.
There is A LOT more to this, but I don't feel like typing out books worth of info.

Yep, the size of the box, the size of the vent, air tight enclosures and inside insulating all make a big difference.
I can't imagine a little plastic enclosure being worth a darn for sound, but better than nothing I guess.
Plywood, solid wood and particle board seem to do the best.

Where is the OP located?

In FL and other super humid areas you do NOT want a foam surround.
Even paper accordion is better.....unless you lake re-foaming speakers every few years.

You can get great bass without a sub if you build your boxes right and put in decent speakers with big magnets that are a close match in power and efficiency with your amp.

Lots of newer receivers are 25 watt per channel x4 WAY better than 20 years ago.

I have 150 watt rated 10's in my Satellite and haven't put in a amp yet but the Pioneer receiver doesn't do to bad pushing them.

I had a thrown together (but thought out) system with a radio shack head, Pyle non- sub 12's and a sparkomatic amp that would out bass some guys that had $1000 in subs and multiple amps.

Where is the OP located?

In FL and other super humid areas you do NOT want a foam surround.
Even paper accordion is better.....unless you lake re-foaming speakers every few years.

You can get great bass without a sub if you build your boxes right and put in decent speakers with big magnets that are a close match in power and efficiency with your amp.

Lots of newer receivers are 25 watt per channel x4 WAY better than 20 years ago.

I have 150 watt rated 10's in my Satellite and haven't put in a amp yet but the Pioneer receiver doesn't do to bad pushing them.

I had a thrown together (but thought out) system with a radio shack head, Pyle non- sub 12's and a sparkomatic amp that would out bass some guys that had $1000 in subs and multiple amps.

I'm not a big fan of subs, I just want to hear the bass over the car at low volumes.
The big amp subs like some people have is just too much bass IMO.
You know, the ones you can hear only the bass from 2 blocks away?:D

What's wrong with that? It lets the neighborhood know you enjoy good music. And you wanna share it with them.

Most of the noise I hear coming out of those cars I don't consider music.

I'm not a big fan of subs, I just want to hear the bass over the car at low volumes.

I hear ya !
..though I have a 1500w system w/sub, I don't believe in forcing others to hear my tastes in music. That's just rude. Besides, my days of coming home with my ears ringing are long gone.

Thays why you set it up properly.

Remind me of my dad. Hates subs he says. Get in his car....bass cranked . Makes total sense.

My old 300m had three JL 8inch subs. 5.25 inch drivers in back for a bit of rear fill and some jl audio 3 way components in the front in custom kick panels. JL 5 channel amp ran it all. In dash eq let me control sub level independantly. Miss that car and setup.

-
Back