auto-adjuster brake kit for 63 dart

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a 63 dart with 9" drums and dont want to go the disc conversion route just yet so am redoing them.
Question I have is since they do not have any auto-adjustment can I retrofit them with a kit like the Duralast/Brake Drum Self-Adjusting Kit-Rear from autozone or something comparable?
Also looking at getting the drums correctly adjusted but somewhat confused from different methods called for, articles, youtube etc.
I saw one guy on youtube say that the rear shoes are tightened so as to allow the wheel to make only one full turn when the wheel is spun hard by hand. This seemed excessive for wearing and potential overheating.
So I move shoes to just drag then back off a bit to keep them from over heating or causing too much drag right? Should I move back 2 ticks or 10 ticks like I have read elsewhere?
Seems like the auto adjusters are the way to go.
Thanks and if this is too confusing let me know and Ill try to rephrase for clarity.

My 65 Dart w/ 10" brakes didn't have auto-adjusters. I added them, using the pack from Autozone (~$7/axle). I think 9" are easier. I recall seeing them on rockauto, but not for 10". Anyway, they are standard Bendix type shoes, used on most U.S. cars, so should be easy to find. I recall several posts with photos on FABO. I used the later style (different than my shop manual).

As far as initial adjustment, with auto-adjusters I just set so the wheel just spins freely and rely on the adjusters to tighten it each time I back up and brake. I think shoes wear a lot at first as they seat to the drum, so with manual adjustment you might have to re-adjust several times in the first few weeks.

Duralast parts are garbage. Don't buy them.

'64 was the first year for self-adjusting brakes as standard equipment on the A-bodies. If you decide to retrofit self-adjustors, use the '69-up variety, which works better and causes less trouble than the pre-'69 type. You will need all the hardware; see here for a rundown and here for a drum recommendation.

Manual brake adjustment, whether you do or don't have self-adjustors, is done by lifting the end of the car you're working on, spinning one wheel while you use a brake adjusting lever to turn the starwheel through the slot in the backing plate until the shoes just begin to rub the drums, going inside the car and stomping hard on the brake pedal, going back to that wheel and spinning/adjusting until the shoes begin to rub, stomping the brake pedal, and repeating this until stomping the pedal no longer stops the rubbing. Then back off slightly and move on to the next wheel. The pedal stomp step is necessary because turning the adjustor starwheel moves the shoes unevenly.

thanks to yall, seems I can forget so much in 45 years, must be too much new stuff stuck in, yeah thats it...

-
Back