Auto cross rims

-

n00blike

Reaction score
im looking for some rims that are light and strong for auto crossing. I originally waned some torque thrust II but they seem too heavy. what do you guys think?

Fikse rims are very nice, lightweight and strong.........all depends on your budget tho, they ain't cheap

just get some steelies with a D cut or something. cheap strong and ready to go. besides you want the money in the tire more than the rim.

You could try these:

http://www.aeroracewheel.com/default2.asp?active_page_id=226

These are the lightweight stock car rims. You can get them in any offset you need and they are probably about $60 each. They also have a taller/sharper inside bead holder to keep the tire on the rim during hard cornering/low pressures. They are only availble in 15" so if you were thinking of 16s or 17s they are out of the question. But they are strong and reasonably light, plus they are inexpensive. I use these on my circle track car.

do i have to worry about brake cooling?

or should i just hook up some of those ducts?

I have never autocrossed, but if you use lots of brake for a long period of time you will need some brake cooling. I would talk to other guys you will race against that are running similar size brakes and car weight and see what they do.

You won't need brake cooling for autocross. The runs are under 2 minutes.

Look at some 17x9 mustang rims. Take off's are the best bang for the buck, but they'll look like mustang rims. Mustang torque thrust copies on ebay are a great deal.

I would run 17x9 with 275/40/17 tires with the appropiate spacers front and rear. Shouldn't need much spacers up front. Find a rim with a big enough center that will take the larger and longer mopar hub centers.

The larger rims are heavier than the smaller ones naturally. But they will allow you to get better z rated tires and wider tires. That will FAR FAR make up for the heavier rims. The larger rims will allow for further brake upgrade if you choose to do so in the future also.

Read Clair Davis' website: http://www.moparfins.com/CLAIRDAVIS/69valiant.htm

-
Back