Auto O.D. in A body

-
Already sound like the four speed manual overdrive would beat the easier way2go. Ideas on that? Thinking of going with 60s model what unless later models would be easier.

Already sound like the four speed manual overdrive would beat the easier way2go. Ideas on that? Thinking of going with 60s model what unless later models would be easier.
reading some of these post it sounds easier and cheaper to go with a a 904 with tall gears in the axle

Will be using a 360 and driving into the Rockies so I advice on what axle ratio to use with that combo 360 and a 904 answering some of my own questions. Thanks for the help in advance.

There were a couple good threads on this board with pictures. The smaller 904 based OD is a bit easier than the 727 based one. You have to cut the floor up some for the 46R and "to do it right" with either you must revamp the cross member. The way a couple dies did it was to cut the entire upper section of the crossmember out of the floor and them make a replacement "upper hoop" out of heavy strap iron, then either buy the "car tools" crossmember or fab a new lower to mount the OD trans

A few guys gave adapted the smaller GM 200r4 with little or no floor work I quit looking for one. They are hard to find around here, and phlakebook marketpharce is worthless as a search function.

The front of the tunnel in the pre-67 isn't too hard to modify for the 727 and 727 based OD. The real problem is the OD clearance. I would slice thru the floor on both sides of the trans mount floor stiffener, then weld a 3/16" strap over the top of it. Then cut out the clearance needed. The bead to fill the cut; welds the floor to the brace plus the brace/floor to the strap. Little carpet bulge; hardly noticeable.

What are your plans, a lot of 75 mph driving?

I have 2.93 gears on my stock 273 2bbl 67 dart. No problem driving on the interstate.

I have a set of low gears (not installed yet) for my 904 that will lower the overall gear ratio in first gear only so the rear ratio will feel more like a 3.23.

I also have rear gears (3.23 also not installed yet) so with the low gear replacement it should feel more like a 3.55 in first and 3.23 on the interstate. Only a few hundred more RPM then the 2.93s

-
Back