Auto parts stores and speed shops

-
These guys been around in our area since the 50's also. Still around today with speed parts and a machine shop for whatever you may need. If you need a 150 mph snowmobile you can see them also.

View attachment 1715459236

View attachment 1715459237

View attachment 1715459238

View attachment 1715459242

View attachment 1715459244

Jim Janis of Jan-Cen did the engines and other work on Dick Oldfield's LO23 Dart. It was a very competitive car in it's day.

Dick Oldfield.jpg

Super Shops in San Bernardino was less than a mile from my house. Slimer still has the Hooker headers I bought there for $109.00.

South Louisiana had Shreve Automotive, a spotless and gorgeous showroom along with a top flight machine shop. Anyone know if they stuck it out after Katrina?
79953952_10221317727722130_8158542738145411072_o.jpg

Super Shops in San Bernardino was less than a mile from my house. Slimer still has the Hooker headers I bought there for $109.00.

South Louisiana had Shreve Automotive, a spotless and gorgeous showroom along with a top flight machine shop. Anyone know if they stuck it out after Katrina?
View attachment 1715460359

I was just a poor kid in a gas station job. I had to get the Kasslers for $49 :rofl: for the Ranchero. I always swore I would get Hooker Headers, so when I built the Swinger for the brat when she was in HS, she had Hookers :lol:. The '72 Ford shortbed with the big block got Hedmans, easiest header install ever :D

All of these stories are really cool. When I was a junior in high school I got a job with a local mom and pop speed shop chain in Macon. It was fun. That's when I had my 2 Chargers. A 71 R/T with 440 auto and Dana 60 and a 73 340 Rally car. Those were the days right there. I screwed that job up with my own 17 year old stupidity, but I learned some life lessons too. Unfortunately, like most mom and pop speed shops it went under. Was good while it lasted. Like all the speed shops of the era, there were valve covers, headers, gaskets, intakes, carburetors and a plethora of other parts hangin on the walls. Engine displays. You just don't see that anymore. I tried to get an engine display together for the O'Reilly store where I last worked, but the district manager said "too much liability". Morons. Most people who come in don't even know these stores can get anything Summit carries in performance parts. O'Reilly can beat every single Holley carburetor price that Summit has and without shipping charges, but people will never know it if they don't see it. Just stupid.

-
Back