Auto speedo gears and cables

-

MTmopars

Reaction score
I swapped a 78 drivetrain into a 68 barracuda. The speedometer cables and gears are different. What do I need to do to either retrofit the 78 gears to the 68 cable?

If you have the original transmission swap the speedo gear and housing from the 68 trans. into the 78 trans. and use the stock 68 speedo cable and you should be good.

To be honest I never saw any differences in 68 and 78 speedo housings and gears. Not sure why yours is different??? Since they are different you'll have to come up with a speedo gear adapter housing from a trans. like your original trans. had, whatever style that was. Can you post a picture of what the 78 transmission speedo gear housing and your cars speedo cable looks like? That'd be a huge help in figuring out what you have

To be honest I never saw any differences in 68 and 78 speedo housings and gears. Not sure why yours is different??? Since they are different you'll have to come up with a speedo gear adapter housing from a trans. like your original trans. had, whatever style that was. Can you post a picture of what the 78 transmission speedo gear housing and your cars speedo cable looks like? That'd be a huge help in figuring out what you have

The 78 piece is plastic and the speedo cable is held in with a clip. On the 68 the speedo cable thread onto it. I'll get a pic when I get a chance.

The gear housing would need to be changed to the earlier type to accept your cable.

-
Back