Auto to 4 speed swap

-

72 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 72 318 auto that i want to put a 833 behind. What issues will i have with the crank.

From what I have read most autos are not drilled for the manual pilot bushing. A simple solution is to use one for a magnum crank. That was my plan when i do the swap this winter. I unfortunately don't have the part number.

I think you might also have to cut the end of the input shaft too.

Is that the crank is not drilled at all or not deep enough.and does anyone know how deep it should be for direct fit.

Easy way, is the trans already off of the engine?

If not there is no way to know if you need to trim the input shaft.

If you already have the auto trans off measure the width of the bellhousing.
Measure the length of the trans from the surface that mates to the bell to the end of the input shaft.

Use a cheap plastic clutch alignment tool, with the pilot bearing in place and strike a line from the back of the engine block across the alignment tool.

Do the math, this will tell you how much space you will need.

For what it is worth, I have never had a 318 that needed the trans shaft cut off, most are drilled for either trans, but you will have to check to be sure.

The ones I have used are the following years with a 318 with no depth issues are.
1969 factory stick
1971 factory auto
1974 factory auto
1984 factory auto

I've never seen a small block crank that wasn't drilled deep enough for a manual trans but most of the automatic versions didn't get the final machine finish for the pilot bushing. Not to worry, just get the magnum pilot BEARING and don't worry about it. Make sure you get the bearing assembly and not just the bearing only. The assembly comes with the hub that holds the bearing in the end of the crank.

-
Back