Auto trans recommendation for 360 crate engine

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
B9850CE0-F662-4110-B314-B67A328394FC.jpeg
The body shop that did our Barracuda is modifying a 1953 Dodge 1/2 ton truck. It now has a Mustang II front suspension and a 4 pt link diff set up. The owner plans for the shop to install a crate 360 (details attached). The question is now, what auto trans to use.

Owner and shop want an off the shelf solution that is as simple as possible. I recommended an A500 RH, but I don’t know where he could get one off the shelf, and walk them through the installation so that it works.

I told him if anyone had ideas, they would be on this site. So, recommendations?

I’d do that OD in a second flat. Where to get one rebuilt and ready to rock I don’t know. It’s seems to be easier for the 727 based OD model to be found easier. But the A-500 is what I’d find.

Thanks for the info. The shop that wants the off the shelf solution is in San Antonio. I don’t think he will be interested, but I will forward the info.
Off the shelf is nice. One of the reasons I didn't do it. I know 46RH uses electronic OD, and 3rd and OD lockup. And I *think* A518 = 46RH. So I didn't want to deal with that, although there's probably an easy solution.

Off the shelf is nice. One of the reasons I didn't do it. I know 46RH uses electronic OD, and 3rd and OD lockup. And I *think* A518 = 46RH. So I didn't want to deal with that, although there's probably an easy solution.

I have an RH, the RE is electric LU. You can run the H off of NOS switches. The Hwas pretty limited year wise of production. With the H you should be able to use a 727 TC. This is off my poor memory as I went a different route with my transmission.

I have an RH, the RE is electric LU. You can run the H off of NOS switches. The Hwas pretty limited year wise of production. With the H you should be able to use a 727 TC. This is off my poor memory as I went a different route with my transmission.
I don't quite understand all of that.

I do have 2 46RH and 1 A727 w/ 3rd lockup in my stable now. The A727 has no electrical connections, short of the brake/neutral switch and speed sensor, and it takes a lockup TC. The 46RH has a solenoid pack that controls 3rd-OD, and lockup in 3rd and OD. So even though it's 'H', it's not totally. I took quick notice of this when I severed the wires to the solenoid pack offroading, and had to drive Interstate 40 in unlocked 3rd gear with 4.56 gears.

I can see how you could control the electrical part of the 46RH with switches. I don't care about 3rd lockup, so OD and OD lockup would be two switches. But how to control them?

It's not...needs one 12V hookup for the TCC lockup and OD.

I don't quite understand all of that.

I do have 2 46RH and 1 A727 w/ 3rd lockup in my stable now. The A727 has no electrical connections, short of the brake/neutral switch and speed sensor, and it takes a lockup TC. The 46RH has a solenoid pack that controls 3rd-OD, and lockup in 3rd and OD. So even though it's 'H', it's not totally. I took quick notice of this when I severed the wires to the solenoid pack offroading, and had to drive Interstate 40 in unlocked 3rd gear with 4.56 gears.

I can see how you could control the electrical part of the 46RH with switches. I don't care about 3rd lockup, so OD and OD lockup would be two switches. But how to control them?

A simple switch. Leave it off around town, you have a 727. When on the highway, hit the switch, and you're in OD.

A simple switch. Leave it off around town, you have a 727. When on the highway, hit the switch, and you're in OD.
You mean 3rd lockup on the A727? Helps, but it's no OD.
I was thinking of replacing the A727 with a 46RH on my old truck to get OD. But meh, the A727 is like new, it's here and it fits with no hassle, so I'm keeping it.

You mean 3rd lockup on the A727? Helps, but it's no OD.
I was thinking of replacing the A727 with a 46RH on my old truck to get OD. But meh, the A727 is like new, it's here and it fits with no hassle, so I'm keeping it.
No. I mean that with the OD unpowered, the 46RH is essentially a 727.

-
Back