Autocad

-
S

scampmehard

Does anyone know how to use cad or have experience using it. I have a good friend who can do inject molds but told me I have to design my own molding. Cause he is pretty busy but would do the injection at a good price. Im looking for someone to build a dash for abody like the old ROCKY MNT Dash, I dont have the patient or the time to try using cad...

I can have this done in alumin as well.

If someone can design a good cad layout we can get some of these made.

Attachments

• paintedrmdimg.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 427
  • dashinstalled01img.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 447
  • rmdgloveboxinsertimg.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 426
This old diemaker thinks that would be a very ambitious project.

Do you think you can sell enough of them to recover the cost of the tooling?

B.

The tooling shouldnt cost me as much cuz it is a buddy that owns a cnc machine. But i figure if i could some how talk to him and lets say keep the cost down to $200-$300 for it. I could make my money back yes, also if I can cut out him doing the auto cad that save tonz of money he said thats were most the cost is.

Meaning $200-$300 for the cluster bezel, im not sure how much RMD was selling them for but i figure you keep the cost low to make them move: they should sell. i have about $2000 I can play with to get a mold going and as long as i make money money back im happy.. But i need someone good with cad to help out!!!

And im not looking to get rich or try to start anything i just really want one of these dash and im sure fellow abodies out there would like them if there price right..

If not im going to make a full fiberglass dash with that cluster inlay built in.

If you have an RMD, you may be better off getting a fiberglass mold built, then reproducing in 'glass. The investment will likely be cheaper and others can more easily modify them if they wish.

I dont Have a RMD im going to have to start from scratch.

Building them out of fiberglass, I think would be the better option anyways. You can make a mold out of ANYTHING...something like a big block of foam. Have a CNC guy make the positive andnegative of the mold, and then do them yourself, or have a composites company do them.

Not sure how much work RMD's were done on a CNC ($$), they started with flat stock aluminum bent on a brake after being cutout on a dynatorch (or sim machine). Then welded the gauge pocket pieces together.

If ya need the CAD/solidworks stuff done this car guy can help. http://www.automotivedesigneng.com/services.html

What you think would be best rate

Fiberglass mold

CNC mold out of alum

Or injection mold

I also heard something about a Vaccum mold.

I hate to break the bad news to you, but that will be a very expensive part to produce. Forget any kind of molding, the tooling costs alone would be in the ten's of thousands. The only cost effective way to make that would be out of sheet metal. I'm a mechanical designer, and quite good at Solidworks, but without a part, and the fact that I do not own a late A body, it would be very difficult to design.

Im a tin bender my trade if you know cad you can fab that up pretty easy knowing measurements is half the battle I can draw out a very detail drawing and have someone plug it into a 3d cad.

Im a tin bender my trade if you know cad you can fab that up pretty easy knowing measurements is half the battle I can draw out a very detail drawing and have someone plug it into a 3d cad.

The face plate is easy, it's all the gauge pockets will have to be welded in. Send me a drawing, and I'll see what I can do...

Drawing the gauge pockets is simple...in Solidworks anyways. Once you have the part, create new sketch on the face plane, draw your circle, then extrude cut through the material thickness. I wouldnt make these out of metal...the heat from welding the gauge pockets in will likely warp it all to hell.
Fiberglass is your best bet in my opinion. Hell, you could practice with fiberglass, get a mold made, buy some release agent, and start making them yourself without needing anyone else.

Drawing the gauge pockets is simple...in Solidworks anyways. Once you have the part, create new sketch on the face plane, draw your circle, then extrude cut through the material thickness. I wouldnt make these out of metal...the heat from welding the gauge pockets in will likely warp it all to hell.
Fiberglass is your best bet in my opinion. Hell, you could practice with fiberglass, get a mold made, buy some release agent, and start making them yourself without needing anyone else.

Go for it.......

Fellow mechanical engineer subscribed. Very interested in seeing some of these drawings.

Scampmehard,
I wish I could help out but I don't have Autocad or Solidworks (though I agree with Curleys, Solidworks is a far superior program). If any other design work or machine shop research work is needed, let me know. I'd like to contribute back to a forum that has helped me out more than once.

Fellow mechanical engineer subscribed. Very interested in seeing some of these drawings.

Scampmehard,
I wish I could help out but I don't have Autocad or Solidworks (though I agree with Curleys, Solidworks is a far superior program). If any other design work or machine shop research work is needed, let me know. I'd like to contribute back to a forum that has helped me out more than once.

fellow pizza maker subscribed............ this is good stuff.... lets not drop the ball...... :thumblef:

Definitely the way to go.

Mechanical Engineering Student... Subscribed... I have Solidworks and I would be happy to help out. I was planning to build a dash like this... But I'm working on the mechanical parts of mine right now.

-
Back