Automatic to manual questions

-

Dustin The PcP

Reaction score
I have just switched my 1973 Plymouth Duster from an automatic (904) to standard (A833) and have just a few little things left to do, but had a few questions.

Question number one: Do I need a new starter relay, or will the one I have work? If so is there anything that I need to change?

Question number two: I have a clutch pedal safety switch that I have no clue where to mount or what it wires into? I need to know where to mount it and what to run the wire to, pictures would be great!

This is all for now, but I am sure more will arise.

I've never had to deal with the neutral safety switch or the clutch switch. I know that the starter relay for the early cars with an automatic trans has a terminal on it that has to ground through the transmission. I would think that the clutch switch could be connected to this terminal on the starter relay to complete the ground. If you wanted to, you could eliminate the clutch switch completely, either by grounding the terminal on the relay, or by swapping it with a relay for an earlier manual trans car. The earlier cars just have this portion of the relay grounded to the relay housing.

Here are pictures of the 2 types of relays. The one for the automatic trans is on the left. The terminal for the safety switch is on the lower right. Connect this to your clutch switch & connect the other side of the switch to a ground, or simply ground that terminal. Or replace the relay with the manual trans type that is shown on the right.

As far as where to mount the clutch safety switch, my guess is somewhere on the clutch pedal or clutch pedal bracket.

Attachments

• Auto trans relay.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Manual trans relay.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 279
'64 Cuda pretty much covered it. Personally, I see no need for a clutch switch at all.

mounts on side of pedal support near firewall
swich goes onto thin spring like rod riveted to clutch pedal

Dont forget to hook up your reverse lights to your manual transmission 2 prong switch

-
Back