Automatic Transmission Cooler Lines

-

chris_stevenson

Reaction score
I was wonder if there was anything I could use besides right stuff or making my own? I really would much rather use Flexible Transmission Cooler Lines if i can with my 904. if there any brands or web sites that have flexible lines I can use? I have the right stuff on and it some how got a hole in it. their lines are hard to bend if need be and I dont want to make my own. just a friend said why dont you use flexlible lines so I thought to ask here to see if anyone are using them and where they got them. thanks!

Neoprene ( like fuel hose ) would work. The problem with any flexible tubing beneath the car securing it. There really isn't anything in the right places to strap it to. If it sags between straps it would be subject to damage.

I wouldn't put trans pump pressures through a fuel line, it just asking for a popped hose.
Think of this scenario.
Your cruzin down the road going to the beach on a nice hot day and BOOM, trans fluid sprays all over the underside of your car and your tires too.
Use solid, or use hydraulic hose.

Pressure out the pump is NOT like the PSI inside the transmission. It is only like 45 PSI out the pump back through the return.

I am doing mine now. New Cooler mounted up front and new steel 3/8" lines . I stopped the hard line on the frame rail and am using Steel Braided PTFE hose with 6an fittings to go from the rail to the fittings on the transmission for easy access should it ever need to come out and be serviced.

what happend was a bolt from the starter punched a hole in the steel line I guess it happend when I was mounting the floor shifter my bad you know?

Pressure out the pump is NOT like the PSI inside the transmission. It is only like 45 PSI out the pump back through the return.

I realize that it's lower in the cooler ciruit, and how much pressure is neoprene fuel line rated for when it's hot out with hot fluid running through it.

Chris,
I said hydraulic hose as a coverall but I'm pretty sure there is something in between fuel line and commercial hydraulic lines that would work fine.
Like this, http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/advance-adapters-flexible-transmission-cooler-lines

what happend was a bolt from the starter punched a hole in the steel line I guess it happend when I was mounting the floor shifter my bad you know?

There is a spot right on the frame rail on the Drivers Side that you can run the lines down from the transmission all the way to the radiator support so you can get them out of that area. I pulled the brake line down from the frame that comes of the distribution block to the left caliper and made more room there for them to squeeze by. I am not done with mine yet but I will post pictures after it is. You will be able to see them on my 73 Scamp thread in my signature.

One thing you don't want is a leak and a transmission fluid fire. That stuff burns hotter than Fuel and would not be a good thing.

I knew there wasn't enough line pressure to bust a neoprene hose unless it was rotten.
I still wouldn't use it though. My homemade lines do look to be made of neoprene at first glance but only because I slid it over the homemade steel lines to serve as a protective outer shell.
If my only problem was a hole in a otherwise good steel line. I would install a compression union at the hole and be done.

I am not very educated on the subject but i looked at the manufacture specs on my braided steel line and it is rated for 2500 psi and fluid temps from -65 to 400 degrees. they also show hydraulic fluid being safe to run thru the lines. here is my set up. i run duel coolers with braided stainless lines and AN fittings. i have about 65 hard miles on the set up and not a single leak.

I realize that it's lower in the cooler ciruit, and how much pressure is neoprene fuel line rated for when it's hot out with hot fluid running through it.

Chris,
I said hydraulic hose as a coverall but I'm pretty sure there is something in between fuel line and commercial hydraulic lines that would work fine.
Like this, http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/advance-adapters-flexible-transmission-cooler-lines

I hear ya. I was just letting guys know that the pressure is less. I too would not run a fuel type of braided line there. I am using short pieces of PTFE and steel lines as you can see in my post above. PTFE is Hydraulic hose that is used for Power Steering lines etc. It will take the heat no problem.

I am not very educated on the subject but i looked at the manufacture specs on my braided steel line and it is rated for 200 psi. they also show hydraulic fluid being safe to run thru the lines. here is my set up. i run duel coolers with braided stainless lines and AN fittings. i have about 65 hard miles on the set up and not a single leak.

Nice work!

The problem is not that it won't leak and guys have used it for a long time. It is the over time problems people have had with it. I at some point will be starting to use PTFE lined hose on all fuel, trans lines etc. It can take the heat, pressure and all types of fluid will live in it. No stink either on fuel lines. Guys seem to still get that fuel vapor smell when using it.

you can get cooler line hose from any parts store thats rated at 400psi. thats what im using for the short spline while installing a cooler on my ram. also use the efi clamps, not the old school worm clamps

@redfish I hadnt thought of doing a compression union I think I'll try that at the hole. its really small but it sure hell sprayed everywhere :( about what size union? I have a flare tool to do the lines

Nice work!

The problem is not that it won't leak and guys have used it for a long time. It is the over time problems people have had with it. I at some point will be starting to use PTFE lined hose on all fuel, trans lines etc. It can take the heat, pressure and all types of fluid will live in it. No stink either on fuel lines. Guys seem to still get that fuel vapor smell when using it.

my hose is the summit brand. PTFE hose. I dont even know what PTFE stands for but when i called B&M that is what the told me to get.
SUM-220984_ml.jpg

I'm going to po a member. 2? at the back? Rocks hit them. 2? what converter needs that? Is it a trailer queen?

I'm going to po a member. 2? at the back? Rocks hit them. 2? what converter needs that? Is it a trailer queen?

On my 67 TT car I got 2 mounted in the back also..... 18" Cylinder type but........

Bad Picture.

Attachments

• phpBuKAZFPM.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 759
@redfish I hadnt thought of doing a compression union I think I'll try that at the hole. its really small but it sure hell sprayed everywhere :( about what size union? I have a flare tool to do the lines

You don't flare the line ends for a compression union, just clean straight ends.
Just cut it (pref with a tubing cutter) right where the hole is and assemble the compression union on the lines.
They use a collar that the nut compresses, so you have to assemble them in this order, nut on the line, then the collar, then put the tube allthe way in the fitting and run the nut down snug.

Do the exact same for the other end.

Whatever size your lines are is what size fitting you need. (3/8 tube takes a 3/8 compression union)

Attachments

• union.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 768
PTFE hose (or TFE) is a teflon inner core hose as compared to regular braided line which has a nitrile core. TFE isn't affected the way nitrile is when in contact with certain fuels or fluids. I'm sure you have all seen the add on trans coolers with the spongy hoses attached to them, or those ever pesky rubber fuel lines that are swollen and sweating gas. It doesn't happen with PTFE hose. This is actually the same type of braided line that "Steel Braided" brake lines are made of.

Rocks hit them more when they are in front of a radiator. My converter is 4200 stall. I beat my car on the street and soon at the track. Two coolers maybe overkill but not ever having to worry about cooking a trans is just enough. Seems pretty self explanitary to me. I want a clean clutter free car and this helped. That and now I don't have a trans cooler in front of the radiator limiting my cooling capacity.

That's a nice trailer queen you got there buddy. Lol

Haaaa, Yeah I wonder why the Nascar guys over cool their stuff too? You see them use tape/panels and other things to bring the temps UP not down. This goes for water, trans and oil temps. Rather be cooler than needed and bring it up where it needs to be is there motto.

-
Back