Automatic Transmission Shifts without button press

-

73 Duster 360

Reaction score
I have an odd issue with a Duster I just bought and am restoring. The black button on the shifter doesn't appear to do anything. I can change gears from park all the way down to 1st without pressing it.

This in itself wouldn't be a problem except sometimes the shifter seems to move on its own from drive down into 2nd. And on more than one occasion I have accidentally put it in 2nd instead of drive because it's very difficult to figure out which gear I've selected without any real feedback from the shifter. In the past my previous Duster had a very solid "in gear" clunk type of feeling. If that makes any sense. This one feels sloppy without the button doing it's job.

Any advice?

Take the shifter apart, sounds like previous owner might have rigged something. An Allen key and turning the knob handle ccw takes it off I believe. There should be a spring in there and a cable. Get a manual too.

Take the shifter apart, sounds like previous owner might have rigged something. An Allen key and turning the knob handle ccw takes it off I believe. There should be a spring in there and a cable. Get a manual too.

I'll be sure to try that. Won't be able to try until tomorrow but I'll bev sure to take it apart.

its threaded on too far

Interesting. So once I get it apart it should just be a matter of loosening the threads on the button that connect to the cable?

I'll be sure to try that. Won't be able to try until tomorrow but I'll bev sure to take it apart.

Interesting. So once I get it apart it should just be a matter of loosening the threads on the button that connect to the cable?
Yes just loosen the allen screw as mentioned above and spin it a few times to see if that's the problem...quite possible it's more than the adjustment but something to try...

Yes just loosen the allen screw as mentioned above and spin it a few times to see if that's the problem...quite possible it's more than the adjustment but something to try...

-
Back