Autometer Fuel Guage - Need Sending Unit?

-

cactuscarl

Reaction score
I'm considering a custom instrument cluster which would include an Autometer fuel guage. I'm not sure if I could use my existing sending unit or will have to purchase one from Autometer.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket fuel guage? What was your experience?

Thanks,
Jeff

'67 Barracuda Coupe
340, 4-Speed

Autometer makes fuel gauges that will work with your stock sender. Not all styles of gauge is available, however Go to their website & check it out.

I have used a few of them. I used one for the Chrysler sending unit and my 69 has a cell with a chevy sending unit and the correct ohm guage for it. Niether one ever read right.

AdamR said:
I have used a few of them. I used one for the Chrysler sending unit and my 69 has a cell with a chevy sending unit and the correct ohm guage for it. Niether one ever read right.
I went as far as getting the autometer fuel gauge,that matched the chrysler ohm sender that is inmy cell.It doesn`t read right either.I just know if I get about 150 miles on a tank,I better stop for gas...lol

I had to bend my float arm to get it right. Easier to fill gas tank with water than gas to figure this one out. Getting water out is cake compared to draining smelly fire hazzardous gas.

You may have better luck using a round factory guage. I think 70-74 E bodys used one in the standard cluster that is close to 2-5/8" like most autometers.

-
Back