Autometer Gauge wiring help - 69 Dart

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Need so help ....I had a custom Dash made by one of our members so now I'm taking the old gauge panel and inserting the new one with autometer gauges. The old wiring has two 5-pin connectors for dash gauges and turn lights. I think I can show it better below. Look at ***

1st - 5-pin Connector on left side with wire colour
Purple ---- Temperature Gauge (temperature sending unit) I'm ok here
Grey ----- Gas Gauge (gas gauge sending unit) I'm ok here
Black ---- Voltage Limiter *** Can I used this wire as my 12v power...it goes through fuse bx
Green --- L.H. Direct.Ind. (Left hand LED Signal Light) I'm ok here
Orange---Instrument Light (Gauge Lites) I'm ok here

2nd - 5-pin Connector on right
Red ------ Hi Beam Indicator (Hi Beam LED lite) I'm ok here
Yell/Blk ---Oil PSI Indicator ***Should I be installing another LED lite for this in the dash
Tan -------R.H. Direct. Ind. (Right hand LED Signal Lite I'm ok here
Orange ---Instrument Light (Gauge Lites) I'm ok here
Grey -----Oil Pressure Indicator (Oil pressure Switch I'm ok here

So ...the questions are ...can I used the black wire for 12v power to the gauge lights and the LED's for the sighnal and hi-beam LED light on the dash. Secong Question ...the Yellow/Black wire ...the book shows Oil PSI Inicator ....I think its was for a red light to come on the dash.
If it is ...do I need a one wire or two wire LED light for this ...not sure how to wire this up.
And last ....can I just join the orange wire from the 1st 5-pin connector and join it to the orange in the 2nd 5-pin connector and just have on lead like this >--
Thanks Guys

So ...the questions are ...can I used the black wire for 12v power to the gauge lights and the LED's for the sighnal and hi-beam LED light on the dash.

YES, should be switched ignition "run" coming from the key

Secong Question ...the Yellow/Black wire ...the book shows Oil PSI Inicator ....I think its was for a red light to come on the dash.
If it is ...do I need a one wire or two wire LED light for this ...not sure how to wire this up.

You need an isolated, 2 wire LED. One wire goes to switched ignition, the other grounds through the oil pressure switch with low or no pressure

And last ....can I just join the orange wire from the 1st 5-pin connector and join it to the orange in the 2nd 5-pin connector and just have on lead like this >--
Thanks Guys

YES

Just a heads up on the gas gauge. I have the Autometer Phantom gauges. I replaced my gas tank sending unit with a new one. The original was severely rusted, and the plastic filter on the end of the pickup line disintegrated. The new sending unit is a linear unit. The factory unit was non-linear. I had to send the fuel gauge back to Autometer for them to convert it to read linear. $25 plus shipping. My gauge would only read correctly at empty and full until the conversion was performed.

Just a heads up on the gas gauge. I have the Autometer Phantom gauges. I replaced my gas tank sending unit with a new one. The original was severely rusted, and the plastic filter on the end of the pickup line disintegrated. The new sending unit is a linear unit. The factory unit was non-linear. I had to send the fuel gauge back to Autometer for them to convert it to read linear. $25 plus shipping. My gauge would only read correctly at empty and full until the conversion was performed.

If you are talking about the typical available "repop" replacement senders, there is a lot of griping on here that they are not very accurate. There was discussion on here about a device you can buy which will scale the reading. Make sure that whatever Autometer you have is actually compatible. Some gauges ("other brands of cars") go the opposite resistance change from Mopar

Here we go..........it's called a Meter Match

Solution to Fuel Gauge/Sender Problems

TechnoVersions - MeterMatch for Analog Gauge Correction

MeterMatchComplete.jpg

I bought one and tried out out "jigged up" on the bench. They do work

Thanks Guys ...I know I asked if I can just join the two orange wires together for the dash lights.... but can I use one of the orange to feed the dash lights panel and the other orange for the floor console light. I see on the wiring diagram that they go to different fuses. I also have a black wire that has a male pin connector that I do not know where it goes. It is on the same group 3-wire harness ... 2 of the wires go to the brake pedal and this black wire is about 8" up from the pedal on the same 3-wire harness that goes to the brake pedal.

20161231_112911.jpg

20170526_132030_1.jpg

Dash sized up nice just needed some body fill to repair the uneven tubes in the panel

20170523_133733_1.jpg

-
Back