autometer triple gauge wiring to fuse block question

-

Kllrbee

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is probably going to be an easy one for you all. Im not too great at wiring so I just want to make sure that Im okay with this. I have an autometer triple gauge that quit working. Ive never had to mess with it as its worked great since Ive owned the car. 69 Dart btw. Following the wiring to look for a short or blown fuse and noticed that the red wire which I believe should be fused before it goes to the +battery was inline with one of the fuses from the block and came loose. Was just hanging there which made it easy to see that was the issue. Problem is I dont know which fuse it was "clipped" to. I tried it in each one and saw that the gauge worked when placed with the top three only when key was on...which is what I want. Im assuming one side of those is a battery feed and the other is for things like flashers, tail lights, cigarette lighter, dome light, etc. But I dont know which is which and if it even matters. I assume I can just clip it in with any one of those 3 and it will be fine as they are only hot when key is on. I put it in slot #5 for now. But I want to make sure by asking you guys.
Sorry for the long winded explanation and if this is a super basic wiring question, but like I said, just want to be sure.
Tried to take a pic, this is about as good as I could get. For clarification, Im referring to the red wire in slot #5. Not the white in slot #1. To be honest, Im not sure where that white goes, I tried to follow it and got lost up in the steering column...
Any help is greatly appreciated.

20221022_175408[1].jpg

Here is the back side of the fuse block. The ones that are tied together should be the supply side.

Screenshot_20221022-173337.png

Screenshot_20221022-173634.png

If you look at the photo of the fuse block, note that there is two busses on the left side, and then a separate top fuse

The two busses are power coming in. One is always hot, and one is through the 'accessory' contacts of the ignition switch. The very top one is an oddball--it only feeds the instrument lamps.

All these old girls are terribly under-fused

Thanks guys,
I looked at the wiring diagram in the manual. Looks like Ive got it tied in with the cigarette lighter and the tail lights.
I dont use the lighter and very rarely drive at night so dont really use the taillights either. I think Ill leave it as is for now and hopefully it wont burn to a crisp...LOL.

I'm no electrician but I would not be having anything but factory tied into tail lights. A triple gauge set shouldnt be too hard to rewire properly. Better safe than sorry.

I think the cigarette lighter is live all the time, so connecting it there may be a draw on your battery. I would wire it to a switched circuit.

-
Back