Autopsy Completed: Results #2

-
Bingo. If everthing was perfect, you might have had it break in fine..The double springs are too much for the brand new cam. I always remove the inner springs for break in. I do know most shops do not do this..Dont know how that has affected the cams in those engines, but I've always been a little pannicky about that.

Iv'e gto MP cams in my 72 Cuda 340 and my 69 Dart 340 since 1984...no problems. Is the problem a recent one--like maybe the last few years with MP using a different supplier????
My Father in law has a Hughes cam in his 440...he's lovin' that.

3404speed said:
Iv'e gto MP cams in my 72 Cuda 340 and my 69 Dart 340 since 1984...no problems. Is the problem a recent one--like maybe the last few years with MP using a different supplier????
My Father in law has a Hughes cam in his 440...he's lovin' that.

Its probably more lifter related then cam problems.

I figured it was time to post another "zipper catches skin" type picture. This one makes me cringe......:thumbdow:

oilpump.jpg

I have also read many threads about MP cam problems but I talked to a local Mopar racer and he builds many engines per yr. and he says he uses them every time and has yet to have one go bad. But I have to say by the pix it sure looks like a junk cam. Especially if it happened in 20-25 miles. Man that oil pump looks awful too.

I'm sooooo discouraged with this project right now you have no idea. I'm *this close* to having a yard sale and taking the proceeds and running to Aruba for a week or two.

Maybe even with the Wife....;)

Deep breathes John. I have a nice roller cam 318 block I'll trade you for the 360 mess.
:wink:

Check out the Google ad that showed up when I read this thread (at the bottom). I think Google is trying to tell you something! :scratch:

john.JPG

I was just rereading...If this engine went together with studs, and the shop did not tell you to align hone the mains, there's a very good chance there are other issues. What are your heads? are you POSITIVE the valve heights are correct? That the guides were trimmed? Did you remove the rotators from the exh valves? Were the decks and/or heads milled? Was lifter preload checked? if so, what was it? The studs are the equivilent of forgetting to torque a cylinder head. Unfortunate, but a bad sign. I would advise you, if you havent changed already, to not let this place "fix" anything. The cam issues may not be fixed by replacing with a Comp..they cause is still there. Experience tells me the last thing you blame, after measuring everything else and verifying the break in procedures, is the cam/lifter. There are bad ones, but far fewer bad lifters then errors created by machine shops/machinists.

Keep your head up..it's not worth tossing, it IS worth triple checking everything again. and again after that. I find at times like this that a complete change of tasks helps..put it all down, and walk away..it will all be there when you return. Just dont play golf..that doesnt help much..

duster340 said:
hey cheer up alitle like i always say :**** happens and then you die;)

Kinda reminds me of that song from the 80's:

Birth
School
Work
Death

I'm off to see the machinist.... Full report to follow :help:

i had a cam co exactly the same ,make sure you get that block clean before you reasemble ,i thought i had mine clean ,and then the swarf was back ,and i had it tanked ,the next time round i was down the local steam cleaner with every plug ,gallery plug and seal out of it ,its a sum ***** ,,,feel for ya ,,been there

FRIDAY ENGINE UPDATE:

I went to see the machinist last night. He said the block, crank, & rods/pistons are usable and I caught it just in time before the pooh REALLY hit the fan.....

Cause of death? I'm bringing him the cylinder heads on Tuesday. There's a possibility that the springs weren't installed properly and the retainers were hitting the guide causing the rapid demise of said camshaft.

If that's the case I have a baseball bat with someone's name on in....:axe:

And yes, it WAS clean-clean-clean the last time. It will be cleaner-cleaner-cleanist this time around too. I don't want this to become a seasonal procedure! Althought I am considering installing wing-nuts and velcro to make my life easier 8)

OK, here's the short version:

Block is NOT damaged in any way, honed the mains and bores and they're perfect. The block also happens to be a "hard, well seasoned..." piece, which is good. I hope....

Crank polished out beautifully! No re-sizing of the bearings is necessary.

Pistons had some metal embedded in them, but he was able to bead them clean.

Rods are being re-sized once the ARP bolts get here. Wrist pins have been polished too.

New cam, main, and rod bearings are on order along with the rings, rod bolts, and oil pump. I'm running the heads out on Tuesday to have them opened up, cleaned, and check the installed height of the springs and make sure there's enough clearance. The compression ratio is being checked too to help in cam selection. I'm also bringing out the old head gaskets and the intake manifold to make sure the ports match. I figure "what the hell..." I may as well go for it.

And if it blows up again, I'm gonna set the sunofabitch on fire.:angryfir:

hard to put a piece of cast iron on fire so you may like to spend some more money;)

duster340 said:
hard to put a piece of cast iron on fire so you may like to spend some more money;)

I like the way you think.....:thumrigh:

Went out to the shop again to drop off the intake & heads. I decided to cut the crank .010 on the mains & rods ( scored a bit....), I'm having the heads cc'ed and the compression checked, and ARP rod bolts shoved in before the rods are sized. He's going to double-check the previous valve job since all my exhaust valve stems are taller than the intakes ( ?.... ) and I found my vacum leak that drove me nuts: The manifold surface is warped. Since I need to have it sliced so everything fits I'll have a good seal.

All said & done it's going to be another $1,000.... THEN I gotta buy a cam, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, timing chain, gaskets.....

Geeez...... I better go rob a few more liquor stores
2gunsfiring.gif

Didnt somebody just introduce "rapid access" valve covers with snap clips...Seems they are for chevies and fords tho..Mopars must not need them normally. ;)

moper said:
Didnt somebody just introduce "rapid access" valve covers with snap clips...Seems they are for chevies and fords tho..Mopars must not need them normally. ;)

Actually I'm looking for the ARP "Wing nuts & Velcro" kit....:geek:

Careful what you wish for..lol. Then we'll have another $100 fastener kit to buy..

-
Back