Autozone

-
Just thought I'd share one of those stories that you just can't make up.

Autozone in my area is hiring, I thought I'd get a part time job, pick up some pocket money, have a reason to get out of the house; retirement is boring.
Went thru the application process twice; got the automated response " Thanks for applying to Autozone bla, bla, bla". Then I get an e-mail that they (Autozone) are having open interviews at a store location near me, please stop in. I go to the interview, it was positive, another e-mail, they want to hire me, and they send me 8 more e-mails with information packets about back ground information, emergency contact, corporate culture, career , history, bla, bla,bla. I read this stuff over, fill in the required information; and then I wait. A week goes buy, I wondering what is going on, no contact from them; so in one e-mail, they listed a person ( Joseph Bartol****) to contact if I have questions, I sent him an e-mail asking about start date and time. This was 2 weeks ago, I still have not heard from him. I go into my local store where I wanted to work, ask the manager what's the story; turns out he is retiring, someone else is taking over the store, and it amounts to something like a Chess game of people moving to different stores/positions; they still could not give me a start date Finally last Thursday I got a start date which is/was TODAY, 4/26/2022,
I arrived at the store this morning expecting to go to work and do more "on boarding", I when I got there, I was told I'd been terminated, YESTERDAY, 4/25/2022 because some regional manager could not reach me YESTERDAY, allegedly she called me 3 times to the contact phone number I had provided in my application, they also have my e-mail; though IF she truly called me she did not leave a message on my answering machine; I was home all day yesterday and saw no messages on my machine, no e-mail messages. I've never heard of anyone being terminated before they actually start work

They did say I could re-apply for the job if I wanted; I'm kinda like, why should I. The whole process has been a huge foot dragging event on their part with very poor communication.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Yes, something doesn't pass the smell test. I'd be demanding evidence of the E-Mails and calls. Wrong identity or too old. Take your pick. Raising hell might slow that issue.

Could be.....hadn't thought of that angle..........how do you prove???
I compare age with "Experience".... The problem I see here is, they don't have the experience to run a profitable business. The turnaround in chain stores (any) are extremely high, due to lack of experience with the management. A life long of learning is better than a couple years in school. Sorry to hear of your ordeal, their loss.

Who knows, who cares.........the whole event paints quite a picture of just who/what Autozone is, behind their facade!
It just blows my mind to be terminated before my first scheduled day of work because some district manager allegedly could not reach me by phone, yet she left no message on my answering machine; I check it often by the way if I've been out working in the yard, in the garage......my opinion is they never called, just made up horse ****!
IMHO, it seems that "I tried to call you" is the favorite excuse of people in HR. I've seen it myself quite a few times, and had it happen to me. It is the excuse to either get out of work or not deal with something.

In your case, whoever is now running the store decided that they either had someone else they wanted OR just decided you were too old for the job. They may also be pushing back on corporate that they want to interview and approve new hires. In any case, HR doesn't want to pass on the news AND suddenly be in the crosshairs for an age discrimination law suit. They want to say "we tried, but".

The best time to take this down, was to never post it. The next best time is right now.
At our auto zone I always go to the lady behind the counter, she knows her stuff, the others have no clue what's going on. Just last week at asked one of the others about needing some dielectric grease and he showed me a small packet at the counter after 5 minutes figuring out what I was talking about. I tell him I wanted a tube of it not a one time packet. He says we don't carry it. I walked over to the Permatex Display and picked one out. DUH!!!! He did ask me if he could help me, as I walked it. Next time I will say, No Thanks.

HP and TS are two of the most dip chit places I know of. HP is just a low level WalMart and TS is the joke of the country/ag world, a socker mom store. But I am a synical old country type fart. Pay me no mind.
And I am so darn glad I don't drive to some chit job to work for some *** hole chit head idiot and get some pissy pay check from some company I have NO respect for in the first place!
I am retarded (retired) now. Forced early by a dipshit employer after a heart attack and could not find a job.
Personally though I do not miss having to deal with snarky dipshits with an attitude. Not all the youth are a pain in the ***, but enough to take your joy. Much of my working years was dealing with oil and gas industry as a mechanic on diesel engines and then as an instrument mechanic. Young guys that barely graduated him school.ripping you a new rectum. Screw 'Em. Not much money after last wife, but I have my peace of mind.

My local store has had ALOT of turn over, scared me every time I went in and saw new faces from the last time I was in....start all over educating the new people
Like asking for points and condenser for a '66 Ford 289. Well now for them to find the parts they have to fill in ALL the boxes on the glowing screen. They kept asking what model car, engine happens to be in a '40 Fordor Deluxe. Try telling them just type in Ford. It does not compute. Finally tell the kid the '40 information. Numbnutz looks at me after punching enter and says "Ford did not have a 289 in 1940". Good call! What these clowns do not understand is that every Ford V8 used the same single point set. Dual points and condenser were different. I finally solved the problem with a Pertronix Ignitor.

Just thought I'd share one of those stories that you just can't make up.

Autozone in my area is hiring, I thought I'd get a part time job, pick up some pocket money, have a reason to get out of the house; retirement is boring.
Went thru the application process twice; got the automated response " Thanks for applying to Autozone bla, bla, bla". Then I get an e-mail that they (Autozone) are having open interviews at a store location near me, please stop in. I go to the interview, it was positive, another e-mail, they want to hire me, and they send me 8 more e-mails with information packets about back ground information, emergency contact, corporate culture, career , history, bla, bla,bla. I read this stuff over, fill in the required information; and then I wait. A week goes buy, I wondering what is going on, no contact from them; so in one e-mail, they listed a person ( Joseph Bartol****) to contact if I have questions, I sent him an e-mail asking about start date and time. This was 2 weeks ago, I still have not heard from him. I go into my local store where I wanted to work, ask the manager what's the story; turns out he is retiring, someone else is taking over the store, and it amounts to something like a Chess game of people moving to different stores/positions; they still could not give me a start date Finally last Thursday I got a start date which is/was TODAY, 4/26/2022,
I arrived at the store this morning expecting to go to work and do more "on boarding", I when I got there, I was told I'd been terminated, YESTERDAY, 4/25/2022 because some regional manager could not reach me YESTERDAY, allegedly she called me 3 times to the contact phone number I had provided in my application, they also have my e-mail; though IF she truly called me she did not leave a message on my answering machine; I was home all day yesterday and saw no messages on my machine, no e-mail messages. I've never heard of anyone being terminated before they actually start work

They did say I could re-apply for the job if I wanted; I'm kinda like, why should I. The whole process has been a huge foot dragging event on their part with very poor communication.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Autozone seems to have the most idiots ! I applied and went for interview at a store . It so happened that the manager for that store was out , and they had an extreme jerk manager from another store doing the interview . I knew all about him from other employees . He would never use company cars , because he smoked weed all the time . So in the interview he asked if I smoked pot . I said no . Then he asked if I had ever smoked pot , I said No . I was extremely qualified , but Did Not get a call back ! I knew he liked to surround himself with employees that smoked weed , so they wouldn’t pay attention to his antics !

Saw a picture on face book with a customer behind the counter at the computer with the Oreilly employee watching him look up his own part.

I can't remember where, but one parts store I went in had a computer terminal for customers to use!

I worked at Advance Auto Parts for 6 months as an assistant General manager. Was promised to become the General Manager of the first store that came available near me. One day a guy calls looking for "the manager who trained him". When I asked what store, it was one 2 miles from my house!! I helped him with his question, then started looking for a job. Had a better job in a month.

I really liked helping people by knowing what they wanted...sometimes better than they did. I also enjoyed training the young guns who wanted to learn.

But yeah, it was another case of a bad district manager.

Autozone seems to have the most idiots ! I applied and went for interview at a store . It so happened that the manager for that store was out , and they had an extreme jerk manager from another store doing the interview . I knew all about him from other employees . He would never use company cars , because he smoked weed all the time . So in the interview he asked if I smoked pot . I said no . Then he asked if I had ever smoked pot , I said No . I was extremely qualified , but Did Not get a call back ! I knew he liked to surround himself with employees that smoked weed , so they wouldn’t pay attention to his antics !
You should have told him YOU don't smoke pot, BUT you have a god friend that supplies cheap!!

I want to thank our member A56 for going above and beyond as a board member, reaching out and assisting another member (me) in this *** ache. He contacted Autozone, supplied me with peoples names, contact numbers, e-mails etc. I spoke with the district manager, she admitted fault was theirs; a computer glitch, I could still have the job, just have to re-apply. I gave it some thought and said no, I have too much of a bad taste in my mouth. I closed the call with "Thank you for the opportunity, good by, click"!

One thing that still bites my *** is the claim of calling 3 times and no messages left on my answering machine.
At this point it is now water over the dam.

Again thanks to A56!!!
Lie #1. "I tried to call you”
Lie #2. "It was a computer glitch"
If they are going to lie to you what lie are they going to say about you?
No thanks.

Saw a picture on face book with a customer behind the counter at the computer with the Oreilly employee watching him look up his own part.
Really I've lost count of how many times I've asked can I go back and take a look with you and found the part long before the employee could...:rolleyes:

DrJZjg-XcAAq9l0.jpg

I have been in an AZ 3 times. The last time was about 5 years ago. That experience was SOOOO bad, I swore I would never darken their doors again. I have kept that promise.

a woman in a leadership position, there is your problem right there

View attachment 1715917764

A sexist would say. LOL
I hate to admit it, but I have gotten poor service from women behind the counter who know nothing about cars so many times, that when a woman is behind the counter now, I cringe. I KNOW that a lot of guys are worthless too, but this is my experience.

I find the people doing the hiring the last couple of decades are a bunch of idiots.
Bingo!!! Try dealing with a corporate HR department...it's like they have been trained to be useless and without common sense. Another of it is driven by a desire to minimize liability exposure with regard to labor laws and PR

-
Back