Average mileage for a worn 360

-

brandon2701

brandon2701
Reaction score
please anyone i really need aaverage because i want to put my 360 in but my parents think that i will get better mileage outta my /6 i do live on oahu (hawaii)
and i have a 73 dart swinger......please fill me in between the difference in mileage betweeen the 2, thanks. -Brandon

As intially produced, the /6 did get better mileage. The difference was not alot, year dependent, it can be a bit more than just a few mpg's. I'm not a fan of the /6. I will not trash it, but I also wonder out loud about it.

While some /6 production cars did get 24+ mpg's, they also were tested and proven to get this mileage in cars that were light, devoid of some equipment and set up with numericaly low gear ratio's and 1 bbl carbs.

I myself need some power in a car. The /6 has none. I also do not buy into the "You can allways hop it up with Clifford headers, a 4bbl. intake and small carb etc...." Hey! I can do the same with a 360 BUT start off with more power to begin with!

The best I have ever done with a 360 was in a '79 Dodge Magnum. Behind it was a 904 LU and a 2.76 geared rear sporting 235/60/15's. Now the year engine is a dog of an engine.

I treated the stock engine to simple bolt ons. From top to bottom;

A 1973 (I think) OE air cleaner (With a trap door in the base)
Carter 625 cfm carb on top of a OE 4bbl.
Dual exhaust off the exhaust manifolds into twin cats and "H" pipe 2-1/4 exhaust.
(Twin cats needed for the inspection)
Vacuum advance distrbutor triggered by a MSD 6A (Excellent mileage getter!)

This resulted in 20 MPG's in a 4,000 lbs. car that has power. While not atire frier by any means, it at least had enuff to get out of it's own way and GO!

AGAIN, 20 MPG's in a 4,000 lbs. car. Think about it.

No cam change, no headers and twin cats. No milled heads, stock as a rock 360 to start with. Small valve heads, broom stick cam, dead stock all over.

Headers, more compresion and a cam designed for mileage can improve over this and still maintain and get more power than a stock engine while getting more mileage.

/6? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I don't know how, I only speak the truth. Though, I did forget to say the engine had over 250,000 miles when I got it.

Show this to your parents and take heed yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk"]YouTube- Prius More Enviromentally Damaging Than BMW M3[/ame]

Man your out in hawaii. The only state still with a 55 mph top speed limit. What do you need a 360 for / you could drive edge to edge of the island it what like 15 mins at 55 mph, ha ha.

Forget cars and get a SURFBOARD, you don't know how lucky you are!

Metro New York and all of Long Island, 55 mph. (Or less)

Who pays for your gas? if you with money you earn then why should your parents care?

Hell Rumble, my 440 Magnum would get 22 on the hiway, with 2.76 gears.... LOL.

get the slant, since you have to ask, get the slant. If you needed the 360, you wouldn't be asking.

I'm getting around 12 - 12.5 mpg for 3 fill ups so far. And that's driving nicely with maybe 10 step on its per 150 miles. (gas gauge doesn't work so I'm filling it there)

A stock or mild 360 will pull down 20+ mpg no troubles. Even with a heavy car. Rumble is right (and also funny,lol!)

Metro New York and all of Long Island, 55 mph. (Or less)

Ugh, I'm crossing NY City off my to go to one day list, ha ha.

Yeah many cities are like that. I recall driving past downtown Indy this spring. 55 mph and state troopers everywhere. Traffic would go 65-to 70 mph sometimes but before you know it another state meanie would come around and knock one more car out of the race, ha ha ha.

I really like Michigan state p. Its not very uncommon to see only one trooper in like a 100+ mile trip one way. And its even more rare to see somebody pulled over. And we have 70 mph almost on all freeways expect Detroit--and that were any speed sometimes is found.

But really I be looking in to souping up jet skis, not cars. You got more water than roads there and like summer weather year round Guess .then you need to watch out for sharks!

-
Back