Average price of a 8 3/4 small bolt pattern?

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey all I was looking for a rear and a local guy has a 8 3/4 rear not remembering what case or gears but he said he was trying to get 500.00$ from it! Is that reasonable? I know I have seen some go for quite a bit so I thought Id see what the concensus would be. Thx

If it has good gears and a sure grip (posi), but if not it is kind of high. Check on ebay, there are several on there, I saw on for $250. Complete, A fair pricce would be $200-$300. I paid $100 for mine complete unit with springs and a sure grip which was is steal, also that was about 7-8 years ago. :toothy7:

yeah I was thinking it should only be around 300.00 or so. Im not willing to come off of 500.00 for a rear Im going to chop up anyway! Thx for the reply! :thumbup:

I'd go for it. I paid $100 CDN (85 USD) last year for one, 3.23 suregrip but that was a steal too. I was always expecting to pay $500 or so.

I would buy them all day at $300.00 for a drum to drum no posi. They sell for $500.00 at the spring fling here in California from the normal vendors. But if your not in a hurry and time is on your side I think $300 to 350 is a pretty fair price to pay, anything less is even better

Why not install a B-body 8 3/4? It is only a 1/2 inch overall longer. that means 1/4 inch each side. The difference can be made up with custom wheels . If you want fat tires in an A-body you have to move the leaf springs in to to the frame rails, and move the spring pirches on the rear end. Still way cheeper and ezer than having axles made.

convx4 said:
Why not install a B-body 8 3/4? It is only a 1/2 inch overall longer. that means 1/4 inch each side. The difference can be made up with custom wheels . If you want fat tires in an A-body you have to move the leaf springs in to to the frame rails, and move the spring pirches on the rear end. Still way cheeper and ezer than having axles made.

The spring perches may be only 1/2 inch wider but the b-body axle is larger than you think, yes it will still work with a A-body but its more than 1/2 inch difference from brake drum to brake drum, can't remember the exact numbers but there are a ton of sites on the internet that will tell you the overall length.

A '68 - '70 B-body rearend is a little over 1-1/8" wider per side. If you can find a '65 - '67 b-body rearend it is a little under 7/8" wider per side.

Chuck

keep in mind that if you plan to run your car hard you might want to upgrade to the large bolt pattern. new axles are around $300. and what youll get is a much larger selection of wheels.

i bought my 8 3/4 abody rear for $400, 2.76 1-tire-fire, but mine was the large bolt pattern. You can find them on ebay for cheaper, but like everything else on ebay, you have no idea what you are getting. It may look fantastic in the pic, but when you buy it the ring gear could be cracked on the opposite side the pic was taken. I thought i paid a little much for mine, but considering buying another 8 3/4, have it cut down to fit and re locating everything, id rather buy a higher priced rear that will fit right up. In the end you will probably be paying around the same price if you have to get everything cut for a longer 8 3/4.

The last one I bought, went in to the yrad and asked for a quote for a dart axle, said $50.00 as long as it wasn't a "good" one. He went out and removed a 3.23 Suregrip with new drums and brakes,final price $50.00, loaded in my truck.

well guys I found an 8 3/4 , 323s, suregrip, a body, in good shape for $350.00 going to get it this weekend! It has small pattern as well but I am going to take my crager SS rims to work and powder coat them silver then Ill paint the center spokes black. (orig. chrome is flaking)
Im partial the my rims i guess plus I would rather spend 2-3 grand on making it function better, rather than on wheels and tires. Especially since I have some pretty cool wheels already.

Excellent! Sounds like a good price. Keep the small bolt pattern and spend the money on the car, like you said. I feel the same way. I have steel rims and rallyes in small bolt and they are all great, nothing wrong with them...no reason to downgrade to large bolt pattern.

ah the good old days third member 3-500 now find a good 1 for 300 391 323 sure grip i give you 550.00 plus ride u give me garontee SOLD

SCRAP HIGH nowdays granny knows what she"s got every 1 after it gl i need a 8 3/4 with new mosiers and disc

-
Back