avs or tq

-

jdehart

1968 dodge dart
Reaction score
I have a avs 4966s and 2 tq 9801s 6322s which one would be best for a mild built 340

the 4966 is for a 71 440. Tho leaned out, it's still made for a 440 which will move a lot more air. so the 4966 is probably too big.

I would say they are all too much .....the 6322 is for a 73 400

the 9801 is an aftermarket mopar TQ with 800 cfm and you did say mild. I have seen less carb work better than over carbing it.

I would say a eddy 1406 would be better than all the above or an O.E. carb made for a 340

Newhart; Describe "Mild 340" for me.

The TQ has the small primary which is good for throttle response. I do like the big primary TQ over the smaller one. I also LOVE the electric choke on yours.
IMO, ether is a win win. Edge to the TQ.

Do you have rods to tune it? If not, AFB/AVS rods clipped 3/4 inch shorter will work fine.

Rani, the 750 AVS being to big is not entirely true. It was a old school trick to pop one on top and call it stock.
360's, 340's & 383's pulled this often.

The stock AFB was 600 & the stock AVS was a 630. The TQ flow rate was covered by a member a while back. (God rest his soul.)
Small blocks got both sized TQ's. Early units were small primary. (According to the Vannth guide.)

I've never had a problem with a huge TQ on lowly 318's.

I didnt take in account low altitude ...

Locally i have seen cars over carbed, running too rich and generally not running that great but i am also at a mile high in altitude.

I can see a a definite possibility and understand. Low altitude shouldnt have a roll in the good running of a car and the tuners ability.
Just the reverse I think. Low altitude can have a car run stronger/quicker. If tuned correctly.

40 over kb pistons flat top j heads 202 valves weidand 8007 intake cam is what came in a 340.long tube header 2800 stall 727rear is323 /8.75.thanks guys the holly I have on there now 4776_5 works good I just think theres more.i drove it some yesterday and it sucked a drug so it's going to have to be cleaned.So I thought I'd try something different still not sure which one to use.that electric choke looks pretty good.

40 over kb pistons flat top j heads 202 valves weidand 8007 intake cam is what came in a 340.long tube header 2800 stall 727rear is323 /8.75.thanks guys the holly I have on there now 4776_5 works good I just think theres more.i drove it some yesterday and it sucked a drug so it's going to have to be cleaned.So I thought I'd try something different still not sure which one to use.that electric choke looks pretty good.
I'm with RRR, 9801 because it has the electric choke and your manifold does not have provisions for an OEM choke. Should work very nice with your combination.

I have a large primary TQ off a 73 440 on my 318 with a .450 lift 210°@.050 cam and it runs great

Stock cam or just the cam is a unknown?
Zero decked slugs?
What the heck is a 4776-5
(Nevermind, I looked it up. It is a 600cfm.)
Yea! There is a lot more performance than with the small carb. That Weiand accepts a TQ as delivered. That leaves you in good shape.

Can anyone find me apart number for a carb kit for the 9801s tq so I can just go to a parts store and order it.I'm having trouble finding a kit.I guess where it's aftermarket.I cleaned it yesterday and it all looks good.I cleaned my holly to its going to be hard to beat.it just works good.I just want to hear that 9801 scream

-
Back