Axle again...8 3/4"

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
Hi,

this morning I found an ad about an A-body 8-3/4", so I call the guy. Here is the deal, it's a A-Body 8-3/4" empty housing with the back plate (need to be cleanded and painted), axle for this housing and a pumpkin (don't know wich cast thought) but it has been clean/sand blast/painted, and a set of 2.76 gear with a lock unit (maybe Sure-Grip). Don't know if the axle have been modified for the BBP either.
The whole thing is disassembled and he ask me 250$cnd for this...wich I think is pretty damn good price, but maybe i'm wrong?:neutral: :burnout:

So, there is no brake system on it, but can someone tell me if the 10" drum/pad/brake cylinder/hardware from a '74 8-1/4, would work on it?

Also, how much can it cost to rebuild it, bearing and other stuff needed (considering i'm gonna do it once and for good), also gonna change the gear?

Thanks again

$250 isn't a bad price for a complete A-body 8 3/4.
A complet rebuild kit from Jeg's is around $200 that includes axle bearings.

What do you mean by back plate? I will assume backing plate for the brakes. The price sounds good if it is for sure a sure grip. If you are retaining the small bolt pattern you will need the brake parts of of a rear end with smbp. Likely your dart will have a 7.25 diff. If they are the 10" drums you can use all the parts from your existing rear diff. If the 8.75" rear end has backing plates (must be small bolt pattern ones....offset is different for big bolt pattern) you are good, if not I believe you can modify the 7.25" backing plates to fit (you will have to drill an extra hole for the bearing retainer.........I haven't done this but I have compared the parts and they should work).

Now if you want big bolt pattern you will have to redrill the axles and drums (and keep the smallbolt pattern brakes) or buy aftermarket axles and get the big bolt pattern brake assemblies from another car (the 8.25" stuff will work)

ps. Greetings from Alberta........

The small bolt pattern 10" brakes are narrower than the 10" brakes on latter axles not to mention the difference in the bolt patterns.

The a-body axles that have been modified to accept big bolt pattern wheels usually use a C-body axle shaft that has been cut down or new custom axle shafts. The distance from the end of the axle tube to the face of theflange on the axle shaft is to short for the 2.5" wide brakes used on the big bolt pattern axles including the 8.25.

ive gotten complete ones at the junkyard for around 70 bucks, with the brakes and the gears, but mostly from B Bodies. Those fit too if you relocate the leaf springs, and come with bigger bolt patterns and brakes. We got 2 in one day with 489 cases too. If your willing to do some dirty work, try and see what the junkyards have first.

how do you edit with this new board? I meant to say you have to relocate the leaf spring "brackets"

Hey Badass.
You just edited the way I do.
Actually,I think you have a half hour to edit your post.....then it's in the books.

-
Back