axle beraings

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I need to get new axle bearings for my 8 3/4.
What is the feel for bearing selection. Go with the roller(stock) bearings or use the "green" non-adjustable bearings.
I am leaning towards the green bearings. I will not be racing this car, just the occasional burn out here and there.

Stick with the factory style of bearing. A set of timkens will last a very long time and can easily withstand a burnout.

What made you consider "green" bearings over factory tapered?

Stick with the factory style of bearing. A set of timkens will last a very long time and can easily withstand a burnout.

What made you consider "green" bearings over factory tapered?

I need to replace one of my retainers and the green bearings come with new retainers. Plus for some reason, whoever put my rear end together initailly, used adjusters on both sides and one of them back off all the way while driviing the car.

Bearing retainers are available for the tapered bearings too.....They also came in some kits. If you have one good RH retainer and bearing, just get a LH bearing and retainer. The installation procedure (on the axle shaft) is the same. I don't know.....is one tapered bearing (A7) and LH retainer cheaper than 2 green bearings with retainers? Your decision I guess......

-
Back