axle install

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok I got some photos here that Is what I think how these go together. Is there to be a gasket on the back side of the backing plate where it sits flush with the axle flange? Also do I want to put some axle grease around the bearings? Are you suppose to grease the splines where they go into the carrier? Or do I got this wrong? Seems to me either the gasket should go on the back of the backing plate or there should be 2 per axle?

Dana 60 if that makes a diference.

Attachments

• axle assembly.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 229
  • axle assembly2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 215
  • axle assembly3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 247
  • axle assembly4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 240
.......Ur right......The factory retaining plate has a foam gasket where u put ur gasket.......between the backing plate and housing there is a metal gasket, say like the tin exhaust gasket between the manifold and down pipe on a factory big block manifold.......kim...

Embossed steel style gasket between backing plate and housing

Foam style between retainer plate and backing plate.

Like Kimmer mentions

Manicini's had the gasket sets. Have you used a wood block and hammer to tap the axle all the way in and seat it.

I havent done anything yet. If I dont have that seal Ill have to wait. Would a local parts supplier have this?

Possibly.

See if it seats all the way back in. Do both axles installed at the same time.

The gasket/seal kit I have from Mancini's is MRE875933314

Make sure they seat all the way in and the retainers fit up BEFORE you tighten a SINGLE nut.

The inner gasket is not that thick.

$2 from Oriley Auto but have to wait till tuesday before they come. Would it be easier to put them in before I put the rear in or does it matter? I suppose it would make it lighter that way ehh?

How about using the gaskets you have, on the back side of the backing plate and making the foam ones for the front. I've made the foam ones out of packing material before and they worked fine.

I don't know....it's not as if there is any pressure....or oil for that matter. It just has to keep the dust and water from working it's way into the axle bearing. As long as the retainers are flat and the surfaces clean, that shouldn't be too hard. Now if you're using the vehicle to launch a boat or are submerging the rear end under water for some reason, you might want to use some sealer but otherwise I don't think it will be an issue. Looking at the photos, it looks like he's using the green bearings and I think those are a sealed unit anyway.

I got the new gaskets the other day and got some time this morning. Damn these things went HARD. I called the guy at Moser to see what I was doing wrong and he said nothing keep doing what im doing. So I would hammer on them with a dead blow. Rotate 180 do it again. Took FOREVER to get them things in. But they fit.

Now for the time being since I didnt have any do yall suggest lock washers on the backing plate/flange bolts that hold everything on?

Attachments

• axles in.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 127
  • axles in2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 162
Now for the time being since I didnt have any do yall suggest lock washers on the backing plate/flange bolts that hold everything on?

I think it would be a good idea. I mean if somehow they all managed to come off your axle could fall out. $1.25 for some lock washers is cheap insurance.

Use the nuts from the 7.25 rear or get some that are self locking inserts

-
Back