Axle puller plate for sbp ?

-

jim ayers

fastback fish guy
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where i can buy a axle puller plate that will fit the 4 inch bolt circle? I cannot remove my axles though i did try the trick where you bolt the brake drum on backwards and hit it with a hammer. All of the axle puller plates that i can find on the internet start at 4 1/8" or 4 1/2" bolt circle

No idea except making one. I have made quite a few tools I needed. What rearend do you have? I assume you took the axle flange retaining bolts out or if it's a rearend with c-clips you removed them?

It is a 8.75 rear with the 4 inch bolt circle, and yes, i did remove the flange bolts first. Looks like i will have to fabricate the plate. Luckily, i already have a slide hammer.

Wow, I've never had a problem getting them out of a 8.75". Hope someone didn't run it with bad bearings and gall them to the housing. The splines could also be stuck in the carrier. Good luck with it Jim

Let me see if I can help here, I had to change wheel bearings not long ago and the hub thing did not work for me ether, so I used a wheel puler and put a peace of stainless steel stock I have behind the big hole in the axle and slowly put pressure on it in two locations and it popped out for me.

Just using what I have here on the hill 8)

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 048.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Axle bearing change 006.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Axle bearing change 041.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 176
I can't tell you how many axles I pulled out in my day and I never once had to use a puller. The backing plate is held on by the axle flange. Just hitting outward on the backing plate should free up the axle. Are you sure youhave all 5 bolts out. There is one one the bottomm in the middle that might be hiding on you. I never heard of bolting your drum on backward and beating on it. The drum will be easily destroyed using a method like this. If I saw you doing this in my shop I would fire you on the spot. That is not using your "dip stick". Steve

Yeah....I've pulled a FRIGTON of axles out 8.750s and never ever ever had to use a puller. EVER.

I had to use a come-along on the passenger side of my Dart to just break it free, the old bearing retainer was sticking. I put the chain around the axle shaft, and ran it over to a post in my garage, and had a friend very slowly click away. I leaned on the car, and it came out. Just needed some motivation.

I've used a piece of chain 3 or 4 ft long, each end on a stud, and a sledge in the middle, with a loop, swing the sledge, jerks the chain, pulls the axle..

Also, only one hole of slide hammer needs to be on axle, tightened down with lug nut, and use slide as usual..

And the reverse brake drum, only put lugs on a few threades, and use the drum itself as a small slide hammer, back and forth on the studs.. doesn't damage drum or studs.

hope it helps someone..

I would wrap a chain around the axle before I check to see if I missed a bolt. Then hook it to a vehicle of choice. Leave some slack so you get the hammer effect when the chain tightens up. This will remove the axle for sure. If the car is in the garage a small hole in the wall to run the chain though will be sufficient. Don't forget to wrap a chain around the housing on the other side and have your wife hold onto it so you don't pull your baby off the stands. She will serve two purposes she can yell when its out so you know when to stop . Make sure the radio is turned down so you can hear her . One more thing to prevent unnessassary damage to the splines put some straw down to give that axle a soft landing area. I made more work for my wife when I didn't do this it took her days to chisel the splines back in. Good luck and if you need any more advice feel free to ask I'll be here for ya. Steve ( Oh yea if its is still stuck check to see if ya missed that bottom bolt and try again)

I am having the same problem. I just tried to pull the axles out also with no luck so I had to put everything back together as more rain is on the way. Would the green bearings have any bearing :scratch:(haha) on how hard they are to get out?

Try this, put the brake drum back on but backwards and run the wheel nuts back on with the flat side faceing the brake drum face. Make sure they are each on the same amount about 6 threads. Now slide the drum outwards hard against the nuts, like a slide hammer. It might cause enough force to break things loose.

Try this, put the brake drum back on but backwards and run the wheel nuts back on with the flat side faceing the brake drum face. Make sure they are each on the same amount about 6 threads. Now slide the drum outwards hard against the nuts, like a slide hammer. It might cause enough force to break things loose.

^^^^^^

What Terry said

I've used that method several times.

I just did my first 7 1/4:read2:
And it was also the passenger side 70DartMike
This was a sealed bearing, that puppy was stuck :tongue9::tongue9:
Good luck if you don't have it off yet, I learned a few things in this thread :cheers:

Mike your awsome. I tried the reverse drum with absouletly no movement whatsoever. Ready to send it to the shop. I haven't tried the steering puller yet but these feel tight. I am still wondering if the greens are harder to remove than factory??

Yours must be rusted in because all the ones I've done were easy to remove. I even recently scavenged an 8-3/4 from a car that hadn't ran or moved in over 25 yrs. and sat outside and the axles slid right out by hand. Only hard part with it was the brake drums were rusted to the shoes and I had to use a sledge hammer to bust them up.

I drained a little fluid out and it looked good nothing very discolored but both sides are not wanting to be removed. Next stop is the shop I guess

I was down in the Virgin Islands about 20 years ago, and the resort I was at was under construction, and had a road grader that had been unservicable for about 3 months cuz they couldn't get a rear brake drum off,, they had a 50 ton puller on the drum, and nobody'd go near it, they were afraid it was gonna fly off.. I asked if they had any dynamite, they showed up the next day with a few sticks, and fuse. I cut a stick in half, and taped it to the axle at the backing plate, lit the fuse and ran like hell, the brake drum and puller shot about 200 yrds across the Maint lot, and hit an old school bus... they had the grader in service in less than a week,, and our stay was on the house....

sometimes,, when in the field, you gotta use what tools are at hand,, the closest town could be a few hours drive,, ask any farmer, , lol

-
Back