Axle retaining nuts

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Are the axle retaining nuts the same on a 7 1/4 and an 8 3/4?? I stripped one yesterday on my 8 3/4 and am trying to avoid making a run to the hardware store for one nut. I still have a 7 1/4 though, so I could pilfer a nut off that one. I'm away for work though and cannot check myself until this weekend. Thanks for your input!

I think the nut I need is 3/8 fine thread.

7 1/4" rears only have 4 per side. That's the only difference I've noticed between the 2. Pilfer away....

I do beleive the big bolt pattern 7.25's (73+) have the same bolt pattern (5 per axle tube end) and yes the same bolts (though may be a tad shorter) as the 8.75 axle tube end. I do beleive the 9.25 also has the same bolt pattern tube end.

We disassembled a 7 1/4 rear last summer....... and I'm 95% sure
they have the 3/8 x 24 thread nut.

Thanks guys. They are indeed the same thread. They are quite a bit shorter though. Either way, it save me a trip to the hardware store.

btw- do any of you guys actually torque these axle retainer nuts to the recommended 35 ft/lbs?? I tried and stripper the 2nd on I torqued. From there on, I just snugged them down with a 3/8 ratchet.

They take a special hardened 3/8 24 interference fit lock nut. The adjuster nut is flanged. They are the same for the carrier as the axles.They are recognizable by the small squares stamped in the flat sides of the nuts. And yes the 7 1/4 are the same but not any rears with C clips. Those nuts are only to hold the backing plates. Do not use hardware store low grade nuts or ny-locks. They will strip when torqued to 35 Ft. lbs. They must be torqued do to heating and cooling from the brakes if street driven. If you can't feel 35 or tighter then use a torque wrench . Hope this helps.

I only torqued the first 2. Since the second stripped, I stopped and just did them good and tight with a 3/8" drive ratchet. I've never torqued these nuts and have never had an issue.

Thanks for the info though. I didn't realize they were special nuts. If they are an interference fit, why can I spin them on by hand?

They are used they didn't work well when new. I have some if you need. Mine are used but the fit the threads on the studs more precise then a cheap hardware nut. I also have the flanged nuts and clips. You pay shipping for what you need.

I appreciate the offer, but I've got everything buttoned up and tight. I didn't realize they were such a big deal.

I also think it's interesting that the torque spec for the carrier nuts (the same ones) is 45 ft/lbs, whereas the retainer nuts are 35. Why the difference?

-
Back