Axle stuck in warped 8.75 housing...please give advice..ty

-
Not long...pinion spins. ....prolly stuck at bearing

Does passenger Axle Spin when turning the pinion?

Does driver's side (bent) axle spin when turning the pinion?

Or is it stuck, can you rotate the driver's side axle with a pry bar on the lug nuts?

Screenshot_20220514-130040_Gallery.jpg

You should be able to pull the passenger side axle out for starters.

That will help relieve the open differential, so you can get the driver's side axle out.

20220514_123829.jpg
20220514_124351.jpg
Makes more sense when there is a housing on it. A shaft goes through the housing end and then through the bushings in the center section. There are bushings that go on the ends of the shaft that fit in the ends of the housing where the bearings go. When its straight the bushings will slide easily in the ends. You would be surprised how many new housings are not straight.
To the OP. I have put rear ends on the fixture and pushed them straight enough to release the pressure so the axle can be removed. Then I try to straighten them. I say try because some are bent to badly and I cannot straighten them. Most of the time I can straighten them. This is common work in circle track racing as one might imagine. I suggest you ask someone who knows circle track racing in you area as they may know someone who does this work. You may have to supply a third member and bushings.

Last edited:
Whining? Hardly. He was telling the truth. Someone sold him a total POS rear end as a rebuildable core and it was anything but. Way to support a good forum member.
You know, you're right
i read through that whole thread again yesterday looking for the video, and my first though was that he was milking it
he had bought something for an agreed upon price, sight unseen and didnt like it when he got it
by the time he started the thread he had allready got his money back AND he got to keep the rear end

thats the only part i remembered from the thread and thats why i said "whining"
then as i read through it, it became clear that part wasnt as "rebuildable" as advertised

i think i even revised my opinion about it in that thread, i just didnt remember last nite

Passenger side axle is the one stuck...driver side comes out....pass axle will rotate...carrier is not froze....just binded from bend

Guys I appreciate each and every one of your comments about fixing it I surely am grateful for all of the wonderful knowledge...thank you, Will

I'm sure one of these great ways will work. If not I will spend some Jack at machine shop...

View attachment 1715927155 View attachment 1715927154
Makes more sense when there is a housing on it. A shaft goes through the housing end and then through the bushings in the center section. There are bushings that go on the ends of the shaft that fit in the ends of the housing where the bearings go. When its straight the bushings will slide easily in the ends. You would be surprised how many new housings are not straight.
To the OP. I have put rear ends on the fixture and pushed them straight enough to release the pressure so the axle can be removed. Then I try to straighten them. I say try because some are bent to badly and I cannot straighten them. Most of the time I can straighten them. This is common work in circle track raing as one might imagine. I suggest you ask someone who knows circle track racing in you area as they may know someone who does this work. You may have to supply a third member and bushings.
I could bend Ford I beams with that setup.

You know, you're right
i read through that whole thread again yesterday looking for the video, and my first though was that he was milking it
he had bought something for an agreed upon price, sight unseen and didnt like it when he got it
by the time he started the thread he had allready got his money back AND he got to keep the rear end

thats the only part i remembered from the thread and thats why i said "whining"
then as i read through it, it became clear that part wasnt as "rebuildable" as advertised

i think i even revised my opinion about it in that thread, i just didn't remember last nite
I never saw where he got any money back.

Heat that end tube casting (where the bearing race sits) almost cherry red. Use an oxy acetylene torch. Bolt a 10' log chain to 2 studs of the axle.

After heating up the bearing housing good and hot (it will expand it) give that 10' chain a whip and yank that axle out.

Maybe my eyes are bad...

That thing is tweaked so badly right at the perch. Typical spot for them to get bent up. Between the end and perch.

People put braces on them and a brace on those needs to go all the way to the housing end.

Looks like another $350 ruined 8.75 rear.....that was sold as great shape and sure-grip.....yep , I should have known something was up...both axles turned front and back...was so happy to see that I didn't notice the banana shaped housing....live and learn...it will be that Lil bastards karma...not mine

Looks like another $350 ruined 8.75 rear.....that was sold as great shape and sure-grip.....yep , I should have known something was up...both axles turned front and back...was so happy to see that I didn't notice the banana shaped housing....live and learn...it will be that Lil bastards karma...not mine
Get the housing straightened and all that stuff might come apart.
Would sure beat taking it in for scrap.

Man, try not to be so negative. I know it's hard now, lookin at everything. Housings are actually pretty easy to true up. Once you do get it apart, it's really down hill from there. We're pullin for you.

Whatever type of pulling you do, you should really concentrate on that pull being from the centerline of the axle. To one side or the other is just adding to the struggle.

Sorry I'm late to the thread. I am the guy that "whined" about a rearend I bought and couldn't get apart. I just got back this morning from a 3,100 mile trip to help a fellow FABO member out with transporting his Dart for little more than fuel money. I spent my 3 day weekend and drove hard for the Mopar community.

As you can see in the video @RustyRatRod posted and pics in my thread I tried every way I could (at home) to get an axle out of a very misrepresented 8 3/4. The only thing I didn't do was take it to a shop. I did consult a rearend shop and got guidance but nothing worked.

Backstory: I was at a swap and was very busy running my booth. A neighboring booth had the rear. The booth was operated by members of the club that puts on the biggest Mopar only swap and show west of the Mississippi and I trusted them. The fella that owned the rear and myself talked in passing and he vouched that it was a very good rebuildable core. We agreed to leave it at their booth until it was time to pack up for the day. When I got it home I pulled one axle and you would think this thing was at the bottom of the ocean. I couldn't get the other side off but it was obvious that this rear was opened up to the elements for a very long time. The outside looked great but there was evidence of rats living inside the rearend (leaves, sticks, and rat ****). I messaged the seller and he did admit that he knew no history on the rearend and that he only got it from an aquaintence and that it was sitting outside, missing an axle. He had put an axle in it with plans to sell it. I told him that I tried heat, slide hammer, chain and block, filling it up with WD40,... and he deflected with insults to my abilities and automotive accumen. I started a thread and then he immediately wanted to give me part of my money and demanded that I not say anything about the mess. Nope. FU Troy Bray.

In the end, his ego is just way too big for him to admit that he should have disclosed that the rearend was open to the elements for years and to be a helpful Mopar brother from the beginning. I'll put it this way. He didn't WANT to give me money back and he resisted for a long time. He only offered me money to shut up and not bring up his name. If it were me or any other of the good members on here we would have apologized and offered a refund based on caring and not to hide something. This guy never felt bad about hiding the fact that he sold a rat **** rearend.

I tried everything and pulling on the axle, chained to a tree, with 2500 Ram in 4 low was the last straw. I ended up having to cut the housing apart to salvage a total of : one backing plate, a third member case, and the one axle that did come out. Gears pitted with rust, housing cut to peices, one axle cut at the splines to get the third member out, ....

Some here viewed me as whining. Some said I should be happy I got money back on the deal. I got money back but I would have rather not went through the whole deal. If I would have known about the rear sitting in the high desert exposed to the elements I may have still bought it but not complained when I discovered it was junk. I may have not bought it. But, I was told it was a good core and the seller ended up being one of the biggest jerks I have ever come across in the Mopar world and this guy is supposedly a Mopar guru that works with big names and builds high profile Mopars. The lesson is that some of the biggest names in a given industry can be some of its biggest jerks.

Troy Bray, the CPW founding member guy?

@go-fish

In a crazy, didn't know it was you kinda deal. I was hoping that axle would come flying out and spear through the rear and front window of the truck. Glad that didn't happen.

Troy Bray, the CPW founding member guy?

Yeah, never meet your heroes. As they say, lol.

I had one of his friends vouch for him but everyone treats their friends with respect. How do you treat a stranger?

I remember that thread and gotta admit I was wrong. No way no how that was a sellable diff.
Sorry I'm late to the thread. I am the guy that "whined" about a rearend I bought and couldn't get apart. I just got back this morning from a 3,100 mile trip to help a fellow FABO member out with transporting his Dart for little more than fuel money. I spent my 3 day weekend and drove hard for the Mopar community.

As you can see in the video @RustyRatRod posted and pics in my thread I tried every way I could (at home) to get an axle out of a very misrepresented 8 3/4. The only thing I didn't do was take it to a shop. I did consult a rearend shop and got guidance but nothing worked.

Backstory: I was at a swap and was very busy running my booth. A neighboring booth had the rear. The booth was operated by members of the club that puts on the biggest Mopar only swap and show west of the Mississippi and I trusted them. The fella that owned the rear and myself talked in passing and he vouched that it was a very good rebuildable core. We agreed to leave it at their booth until it was time to pack up for the day. When I got it home I pulled one axle and you would think this thing was at the bottom of the ocean. I couldn't get the other side off but it was obvious that this rear was opened up to the elements for a very long time. The outside looked great but there was evidence of rats living inside the rearend (leaves, sticks, and rat ****). I messaged the seller and he did admit that he knew no history on the rearend and that he only got it from an aquaintence and that it was sitting outside, missing an axle. He had put an axle in it with plans to sell it. I told him that I tried heat, slide hammer, chain and block, filling it up with WD40,... and he deflected with insults to my abilities and automotive accumen. I started a thread and then he immediately wanted to give me part of my money and demanded that I not say anything about the mess. Nope. FU Troy Bray.

In the end, his ego is just way too big for him to admit that he should have disclosed that the rearend was open to the elements for years and to be a helpful Mopar brother from the beginning. I'll put it this way. He didn't WANT to give me money back and he resisted for a long time. He only offered me money to shut up and not bring up his name. If it were me or any other of the good members on here we would have apologized and offered a refund based on caring and not to hide something. This guy never felt bad about hiding the fact that he sold a rat **** rearend.

I tried everything and pulling on the axle, chained to a tree, with 2500 Ram in 4 low was the last straw. I ended up having to cut the housing apart to salvage a total of : one backing plate, a third member case, and the one axle that did come out. Gears pitted with rust, housing cut to peices, one axle cut at the splines to get the third member out, ....

Some here viewed me as whining. Some said I should be happy I got money back on the deal. I got money back but I would have rather not went through the whole deal. If I would have known about the rear sitting in the high desert exposed to the elements I may have still bought it but not complained when I discovered it was junk. I may have not bought it. But, I was told it was a good core and the seller ended up being one of the biggest jerks I have ever come across in the Mopar world and this guy is supposedly a Mopar guru that works with big names and builds high profile Mopars. The lesson is that some of the biggest names in a given industry can be some of its biggest jerks.

Yeah, never meet your heroes. As they say, lol.

I had one of his friends vouch for him but everyone treats their friends with respect. How do you treat a stranger?

-
Back