Axle stuck in warped 8.75 housing...please give advice..ty

-

Mtrhead

Ace of Spades ♠️
Reaction score
Housing is so bent can't even remove passenger side axle...binded into center section..any suggestion ?? How would you straighten housing back to remove axle..

20220513_122027.jpg

20220513_122013.jpg

A large slide hammer attached to the wheel studs, but the axle may not be worth saving if the housing is bent that badly.

Are you trying to save the axle or do you just want the center chunk. You could cut the tub to remove the axle, the axle might be good.

Tried that...tried even hooking chain to studs then a 4wheeler taking off....nothing...binded bad

If the axle is damaged that would be fine I just don't want to damage the housing no worse than it is and the center chunk ...

I believe it needs to be straightened back out before it can be removed it's in such a bind

don't know how much the bent axle is affecting you but I do know that the first 8.75 I tore apart I thought I was going to destroy the axle because the bearing was basically rusted into the housing end. In the end it came out with a little heat and using a long pry bar

in the "how to" articles, there is a good write up on how to narrow one of these housings. Part of it includes how to straighten out the housing. That is the only method I know to do that job

Can you fab? Build a giant slide hammer puller. You could even use another junk axle, if you have one. Try loosening the 3rd member so it can "angle" a bit. You have a way to lift it? front loader? overhead hoist? Rig it from above, so you can "walk" it off a suport like a bucket/ barrel etc and use the weight of itself for the hammer

Remove the other axle.
Completely unbolt the center section, making sure it's loose on the studs- i.e. break the gasket loose.
Now try the comealong/4wheeler/slide hammer.
(Oh yeah, unbolt the axle first... :lol:)

Great answers guys!! I'm sure one of these will get it....thanks for all of the wonderful advice...

I've never had a housing this bad off before I'm sure going to check next time before I purchase sight unseen...

Was supposed to been 323 Sure Grip and both axles turned frontwards and backwards but I'm wondering if that other Axel was just binding and that's why it was turning...if not a sure grip I'm gonna be let down

Chain it down to your floor and pull the bent end back into alignment with your 10 ton pulling unit ram.

Once you get it close to linning back up, the axle will come out.

Just have to ask... You did remove the flange bolts? All 5?

I doubt that the bend is what's keeping the axels in. My vote is rust on the bearings.

Heat up the outside of the housing end and slide hammer away

Tried all of that...gonna strap it down and make big slide hammer

You might have a truck axle shop around your area that cold press that thing back in shape, and could reuse after inspection.

I have an I beam and enough heavy steel, I could fab a makeshift press.
good luck

Get 2 cinder blocks stood up and lay the rear across them on the pads. Pick up the bent side and drop it onto the block about 20 times. See if the weight of the pig bends the tubes enough to pull the axle. Can't hurt anything cept the tubes...or the cinder blocks. Maybe put some wood on then.

Last edited:
They make adapters that go onto slide hammers just for pulling axles.

-
Back