Axle Stuck

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
I have been trying to remove an axle from an 8 3/4 chrysler for the past few days, and it wont budge. I have all five bolts out, I reversed the hub and tried to use as a slide hammer, it still wont move. Does anyone here have any suggestions or tricks that would help in this situation. I have removed plenty in the past, never had a problem, but this one is giving me fits.

I used some long square head set screws to push a GM axle out for the backside once long ago. Was time consuming but worked. Good luck

Sounds like you hard on this one , twisted splines?
I have a feeling you will be needing to buy a few parts for the carrier.
Do you have an earth moving bar like the cement guy's have?
I do and it comes in very handy.

The splines on the Axle OR the Carrier are more than likely ruined.They are HOLDING the Axle in place.I have had to use a LARGE Hammer(Even a Sledge)and a Bar on the end of the axle and Strike HARD.Make sure you have the car braced ggod on Jack Stands..This USUALLY works for me.ALSO you can put a 1/2 Bolt in the ACCESS hole(the one that you take the bolts out through on the Flange of the Axle)and Double Nut(one on each side of the flange)and PRESS it Out.Turn the Bearing Retainer sideways to clear.You can ALSO build a Press this way..Use Grade 8 Bolts..

SS

bolt a long length of chain "about 10ft or so" thru the access hole in the end of the axle and loop and bolt it thru a spare tire and wheel. Give the tire a hearty throw as straight out in line with the axle as possible. Lower the car down as far as you can so as to not drop the car when this tries to rip the rear end out. Iv'e used this in wrecking yards and even in the driveway when an axle wouldn't budge. You want to use the momentum of the tire/wheel to basically become a bigger slide hammer.

the one time i had this happen i went out and rented a porta power. leave the other side bolted up and put two crappy steel wheels on, put the porta power between the wheels and push away.

I got it out. I made a homemade slide hammer out of a piece of pipe and an old harmonic balancer. a couple slaps and it fell right out. The splines look fine, it is almost like the bearing was stuck and holding it. Is this possible? Well anyway thanks for all the advice. Im just glad to have the axles out now.

I got it out. I made a homemade slide hammer out of a piece of pipe and an old harmonic balancer. a couple slaps and it fell right out. The splines look fine, it is almost like the bearing was stuck and holding it. Is this possible? Well anyway thanks for all the advice. Im just glad to have the axles out now.

Glad to see ya Got it Larry...It COULD be that the Outer Race was FROZEN to the Flange...I've had that happen before.In that case you could have just BFH(Big Old Hammer)'ed it out..

he he he

SS

Yep sounds like the outer race was stuck in the housing flange, which it the place you can heat in dire situations to try and persuade axles from the housing....

bolt a long length of chain "about 10ft or so" thru the access hole in the end of the axle and loop and bolt it thru a spare tire and wheel. Give the tire a hearty throw as straight out in line with the axle as possible. Lower the car down as far as you can so as to not drop the car when this tries to rip the rear end out. Iv'e used this in wrecking yards and even in the driveway when an axle wouldn't budge. You want to use the momentum of the tire/wheel to basically become a bigger slide hammer.

Now THAT'S a BIG slap hammer!!! I'll remember this! "FOUR!"

-
Back