Axle thrust spacer removal

-
It's not needed. Green bearings don't need preload.

And, as I understand it, Green bearing sit slightly further into the housing, only a smidge but enough to cause a problem if you dont remove the thrust spacer.

correct me if I am wrong but I believe you only remove the thrust block from the clutch type power lock units when using the green bearings --- not on the cone type sure grip units as the thrust block in these locates the spring plates .

If your going to use greens, remove the thrust Buttons/Block regardless if you have either type of suregrip or pegleg.

If you leave it in and the axles with the greens don't go in all the way because of the thrust block and you tighten them down and run em like that your going to destroy the greens in short order IMO

So the thrust blocks actually impede the full seating of the green bearing axle?

I was wondering what they actually did in a stock (taper bearing) set up too. When you set your axle end play are you drawing the axle ends up against the thrust blocks? It just seems like a flimsy set up to transfer all those latteral forces. Must work fine though, as they've been doing that job for 50+ years!

I'm setting up my first 8 3/4 right now so this is new to me.

Thanks,

CE

If you are running stock axles, stock brakes, stock housing and SNAP-RING style Green bearings, you do not have to remove the thrust block.

So the thrust blocks actually impede the full seating of the green bearing axle?

I was wondering what they actually did in a stock (taper bearing) set up too. When you set your axle end play are you drawing the axle ends up against the thrust blocks? It just seems like a flimsy set up to transfer all those latteral forces. Must work fine though, as they've been doing that job for 50+ years!

I'm setting up my first 8 3/4 right now so this is new to me.

Thanks,

CE

Because there is only one adjuster, when you adjust the end play you are actually adjusting both tapered wheel bearings via the thrust block in the center. It makes the 2 axles into one solid piece as far as end play is concerned.

Since you are installing green bearings, you are not going to be concerned with the above.

But... Leaving the thrust block in when installing green bearings can cause problems. All depends on the exact axle/housing lengths and how all the possible tolerances stack up. To avoid problems, IMHO it is a good idea to remove the thrust block when switching to the green bearings.

If your going to use greens, remove the thrust Buttons/Block regardless if you have either type of suregrip or pegleg.

If you leave it in and the axles with the greens don't go in all the way because of the thrust block and you tighten them down and run em like that your going to destroy the greens in short order IMO

Exactly.

................I put the greens in that have the snap ring and didn't need to remove the thrust block in a 489 case with cone type sure grip...........kim..........

-
Back