Axles wont fit

-

Cravin'sCuda

Reaction score
I'm trying to install the axles back in the car with the green bearings (67 barracuda with 741 diff- 8-3/4 rear). I removed the stock adjustable ones and now it seems that the axles will not go back into the housing. I set one side up and also installing Wilwood rear discs when I went to the other side to install the axles I couldnt get the axle and backing plate to set against the axle tube. I removed all the backing plates and retried and with one side pushed up to the tube the other side sticks out by approx 1/4". Is this where someone has shortened the axle tube? The green bearings are Moser's with a snap-ring and they went on just fine.The only way i figure to fix it is cut the axle ends or to get another axle housing. Any suggestion? Thanks.

picture036wm5.jpg

is the spacer thing still in the center section? i forget what it is called but some guys have to remove it to get their axles in.. its a little plug looking thing that each axle will hit when all the way in.. like a lil spacer. its in the center section. you don't need it with the green bearings.

is the spacer thing still in the center section? i forget what it is called but some guys have to remove it to get their axles in.. its a little plug looking thing that each axle will hit when all the way in.. like a lil spacer. its in the center section. you don't need it with the green bearings.

I think abodyjoe is talking about the floating adjuster pin that is used to adjust the axle end play. I have always taken mine out when running greens. Having that piece fall into the gears/suregrip unit is very bad news.

is he talking about he thrust buttons located in the center chunk? My 742 housing had them and when I installed my setup I was told to knock them out. They will prevent the axle from seating all the way in if his housing is so equipped...

May not have the thrust buttons in it depends on what suregrip he used.

My 741 has the slider in it on the spider gears pin and you have to tear the unit apart to get it out.

Thanks,

is he talking about he thrust buttons located in the center chunk? My 742 housing had them and when I installed my setup I was told to knock them out. They will prevent the axle from seating all the way in if his housing is so equipped...

Most likely that's what he is refering to. They're not needed on the non-adjustable "green bearings".

I wondered about that because I could push on one side and push the axle out the other side and visa-versa. Can I push the rod out from one side and pull it out with a magnet or take the whole diff out? I had the diff out once for a basic insp. Heres a pic of the diff

suregripom0.jpg

You would have to pull both axles out of the housing and use a LONG reach magnet but I bet it could be done. Best to take the center chunk out if you can though. This way you can see what your trying to remove. One question we should ask is do all the carriers have the thrust buttons? I know my 742 did but I am not sure if the 741 or 489's had them??......

Most likely that's what he is refering to. They're not needed on the non-adjustable "green bearings".

lol.. yea thats what i'm talking about... i have run green bearings in a few cars and not needed to take them out but i know allot of guys have to remove them.

i just ran into the same problem on the 8 3/4 for my dart wagon. these axles were in my 68 cuda though. i need that 1/4" too.

Well the slider does not come out. I removed the diff and it is there some how. Question- is this easy to remove or have someone that knows diff's get it out, will I jack up the settings on the end play and pinion depth.

i think the whole diff has to be disassembled to remove that piece. i am going to call my tranny/rear end guy tomorrow.

hahahahaha...............he said tranny rear end guy. watch that language around SF.

There are two different types that I know of. One you can remove without taking the center section apart, the other you have to.
I did the same thing on mine, took me a bit to figure out why the axles wouldn't fit right.

You have the clutch type SG. You can take the thrust buttons can be removed with out taking the third apart. They are held together with a malable rivet or a roll pin. If you have a long thin punch you can drive the roll pin or rivet out and therefor remove the buttons.

i think the whole diff has to be disassembled to remove that piece. i am going to call my tranny/rear end guy tomorrow.

hahahahaha...............he said tranny rear end guy. watch that language around SF.

I see you make it over the Bay Bridge occassionaly. ;-)

-
Back