Axleshaft for Dana 44 with auto hubs

-

ryansiki

Reaction score
Bought a 1992 3/4 Ton 4x4 Dodge pickup with Dana 44 up front that needs the passenger side axleshaft replaced. I bought a shitty Haynes manual but it only covers the manual hubs. Got the snap ring off but after that Im at a loss as to what to do.Help?

Attachments

• 20140131_191930_resized.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 74
If you pulled the inner and outer retaining rings then it's just stuck in there, get a slide hammer with a hook attachment and squirt some penetrating oil around it.

Looks like the outer snap ring is still in there. Judging by the picture. I agree once you pull the inner and outer snap rings, that full time 4x4 gear will come out. You may need to coax it but it will come out.

ok, now should I be prying at the hub or that ring with a bunch of holes around it? Next problem: new bleeder screw pulled what was left of the threads out on the rear drums(passenger side only), was planning on trying to re-tap it, but after a lil more thinking it probably would make more sense to just have the rear cylinder replaced....

Yup, If it is really stuck do to rust or gook, it may take a little effort. Spinning the hub while trying to remove it will help.

-
Back