B Body 8.75 in a an body

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
Looking for someone that has put a B-Body 8.75 into a Dart or Valiant style A body. I am looking to know all the work needed to put one in. I heard all the needs be done is to move spring perches. Also what backspace is needed to make the tires fit inside the wheelwells comfortably? I looked through the forum but didnt find the answers I was needing.

Thanks
Jeff

I put a '68 B-body rear in my 68 cuda. Yes, all you do is cut the old spring perches off, and weld new ones on moved 1/2" each side inwards. The backspacing I'm using is 5.72" which is the common late model mustang wheel. ( 17x8 ) You can use 5.75 as well.

No Dart body style here, but I have a 67-68 B-body 8 3/4 in a Demon. My suggestion would be to install 3/4" offset hangers, you need to move spring mounts any way so why not. I'm using 5.25" back space on 8" wheel with offset hangers, tires are 275/50-15s.

Attachments

• Demon Exterior01.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 276
I did it on my '71 swinger, it does fit and right now I am running some stock 5.5 x14in rallys with 205 70 14s I believe. I haven't yet measured for the new wheels but I am going to have to have a custom made wheel with a lot of back spacing. As far as spring perches go I left them in their stock location because I am about to do a spring relocation so I didn't sweet the little bit that I stretched the springs.

The 275/60/15 BFG Radial TA's are what I had on my Demon and those are a good width so that is idealy the size I would like to put onto the car so I will more than likely also do the inboard spring kit also. Thanks for the advice

Jeff

I put one in my 71 duster. Really easy swap, all I did was cut the spring perches off and weld some new ones on in the correct location. New spring perches are available from Mopar Performance very reasonably. Also, driveshaft needs to be shortened, local machine shop handled that for about $45 as I recall. Make sure you get the shock mounting plates from the donor car, and the U-bolts will have to be changed--the axle tube diameter is larger on the 8-3/4.

I was running 14x7 rallye wheels with 225-75-14 tires as I recall, not sure how well they would fit in the somewhat tighter dart swinger wheel well though.

How much shorter did you guys have to shorten your drive shaft? That's weird because I didn't have to shorten mine at all...All I used was the B-body housing, and kept the same center section...

I put a 66 B-body 8 3/4 into my 1974 Duster. Moved in the spring perches. Other than that I didn't have to do anything else. I went from an 8 1/4 3-Speed to a 8 3/4, 4-Speed and I did not have to shorten the drive shaft. But, I did have to change the yoke.

Rims and tires you will have to measure, measure and measure!

I hope that helps.

-
Back