B body spindles

-

69 Drt CH

Reaction score
I picked up some b body disc spindle assemblies to swap to disc brakes on my 69 dart. I noticed the length difference on the tie rod ends. Existing ones are too short, which ones do I need to get, are there different lengths

What year spindles? Not all year B body spindles are created the same...
This may help you out, depending on what you have:
Spindle Comparison (archive.org)
As far as the tie rod ends go, how are they short? Height? Length?
Adjust the sleeves so the tie rod ends extend as much as possible, if that's where you're "short"- there shouldn't really be any differences in the parts since you'll still be using A body lower balljoints/steering arms, albeit the '73-'76 ones.

Last edited:
What year spindles? Not all year B body spindles are created the same...
This may help you out, depending on what you have:
Spindle Comparison (archive.org)
As far as the tie rod ends go, how are they short? Height? Length?
Adjust the sleeves so the tie rod ends extend as much as possible, if that's where you're "short"- there shouldn't really be any differences in the parts since you'll still be using A body lower balljoints/steering arms, albeit the '73-'76 ones.
I will take a look and adjust the tie rods. When I installed the spindles I noticed it pulled in the steering arms so the toe is out on the front side. I will adjust to see if it comes back into spec.

Spindles haven't anything to do with "shortness" of tie rod ends.
Your lower Ball Joint, bolts to the spindle, and then tie rod ends to the ball joint.

this may explain

DSCF6946.JPG

DSCF6947.JPG

DSCF6948.JPG

DSCF6949.JPG

DSCF6950.JPG

i'll convert both Imperial and metric from mounting face to ball joint socket.

RH B Body 45mm 1.750 inches
LH B Body 55mm 2.125 inches
'66 A body 70mm 2.750 inches

the B Body measurements should be the same but both i have are from different manufacturers (possibly for different year vehicles and done on purpose?). Boxed same but one box had been opened. (i got them cheap so doesn't matter at this stage as i'm experimenting)

but what it does show is there is quite a difference and will affect the length required on the steering links. This will also change Ackerman quite a bit.

also i show that the B Body arm is positioned lower than the A body arm so this will affect bump steer

have fun.

I used 66-72 b body lower ball joints. I have since adjusted them to the correct toe settings. Thanks for all the information gentlemen!

-
Back