B & M Floor Shifter In 73 Duster

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
Hey Guys ,my Son Is Thinking About Putting A Floor Shifter In His Duster,what Are The +s And -s Of Doing So And How Hard Is To Do?
Any Special Modifications That Have To Be Done?

All Input Is Welcome-----bob/bryce

I plan to install a shifter so I can't speak from experience but I don't see any significant issues in doing so. Since they're cable operated though it'll be important to route or otherwise protect the cable from exhaust meltdown.

Easy to do. Hardest part is cutting the rug.

Remove the driveshaft to get to the bolts of the shifter. This makes tightening them down easy.

The routing of the cable. You must take care not to let it hit the header or exhaust pipe. Once the plastic caseing melts, shifting is impossible. (Guess what I did)
Replacement cables are avialable and cheap. I ended up with one a foot shorter.
It helped in keeping it clear of the header, but did stiffen up the movement of the shifter and increased effort slightly.

The instructions state drill hole *** distance from the shifter. This gave a slight bend on the cable. The hole could have been closer. Bewawre of the underside of where your drilling. There could be a brace underneath.

You may also want to shim the shifter at the front of it to help the angle so the cable isn't bent at all.

I provided pictures of my install in the ruff. (Where it stands today)

100_1328.JPG

100_1329.JPG

100_1331.JPG

Bob/Bryce, I went one step further than Rumblefish. Mounted my B+M quicksilver further forward so I could build it into the stock console. But like the guys say it's a simple job.

Terry:burnout:

PB210023.JPG

PB210027.JPG

after melting my cable i released the tension and wrapped it in electric tapoe and made a bandaid of jb weld. Now there is no way it can burn melt or distort from heat. on the ones ive put in since i slide a piece of fire proof boot like you use on plug wires.Instalation is a piece of cake

Looks good Rumblefish. How did you decide on placement on the tunnel?

I positioned the drivers seat where I felt good, as if in I was driving it, placed my hand farthest foward with the hand on the handle and said to myself, "Self, Thats where park is."

Marked it with a sharpie marker and drilled. It was dumb luck I didn't drill into the metal supports under it.
Of course, my driving poistion cchanges slightly from time to time, depending on how I feel and weather. When it rains, I get a litle closer to the window to see better. When theres clear weather and driving conditions, I move back alot. Relaxed farther back.

demon seed, that looks freakin great. I almost purchased a stock console so I could try that. But, as things go in life, Murphy came around again.

daredevil, that's a damn good idea. I wasn't sure if I could bandaid it up like that.

I installed a hurst promatic. Love it. The shifter on the column reminds me of a grocery getter. Simple install, most everything is noted by other posts. One thing I would caution, my promatic is a ratchet shifter, I would ALMOST rather have a gated shifter(believe thats the term), takes some getting used to going from a forward gear to park.

I haven't drivin mine but around the driveway so far. The shifter is a bit of a trick to work at first. On the street, it should not pose a problem.

You'll just have to lift up on the pull ring to get out of any gear into neutral and then into any drive gear. Going foward in gears is just a push foward. Into reverse, it will need to be lifted (The gate) and also into park.

I have that Starshifter in one of my darts and I love it. Whether its daily driving or track duty I have no complaints. It's been in there about 2 years.

My Duster will be getting one when I put carpet in it.

Go to our website piburn.net and check out page 2 of the photo gallery. If you click on "view original" you can blow it up and get a good look at it.

Its simple to do, I have a Cheetah SCS shifter in mine, and I put the shifter in first gear and mounted it where I felt I would be most comfortable so that when in 3rd, I wasn't stretched out or anything, but with the Cheetah, the cable exits the front, so you have to wrap it around the back of the transmission, but its still an easy install.

Oh yeah, you also have a lot more control over shifting with it down there on the floor.

what side of the tranny is the linkage hook up? I'm trying to install mine and dont know how to route the cable becasue of its length

74Burnt.

The trans linkage is on the drivers side. Just behind your feet as sitting in the car.
The stock cable length is good, as the manufacurer for it, and route it in a loop. I would suggest some "Zip ties" (Plastic strips that make a loop and lock up in size. )
Use the Zip ties to hold the cable away from headers, exhaust pipes and manifolds. I burnt up a cable and had to get a new one. I ordered one size smaller which worked OK for length, but the tighter bend made the shift stiffer. I don't like it as much as the longer cable.

This is an easy thing to do. The B&M unit I used has excellent instructions, easy to understand and the pictures were clear. No problem in understanding the location of parts in the pictures. They were not fuzzy or grainy.

-
Back