B&M Hammer - Console mods

-

Jhenry70

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a console out of a 67-69 Cuda that I'm planning on modifying for my Duster. The console only has the base, the forward top plate and the rear hinged plate, no internals for shifter or gear indicator. I'm planning on installing the B&M Hammer shifter and was wanting to know if anyone has done something similar to the options I'm considering and if there is anyone who can provide pictures.

My first option and what I feel is the easy way out is to cut the openings in the top plate for the shifter and indicator completely out of the way and then mount the top plate from the Hammer shifter directly to the top of the console plate.

My second option and one that I haven't really tried to test fit just yet but at first glance seems like it would not be too hard to do... Remove the gear indicator slide and light from the underneath of the top plate that came with the shifter and then modify a mount under the console top plate for it to mount in the stock gear indicator slot and mount the shifter handle through the stock shifter slot utilizing the shift boot that came with the shifter. Has anyone done it this way? Pictures please if they are out there.

I'm looking to keep the console intact as much as possible the chrome is pitted on the top plate but is good on the top edge that goes around the top of the console. I plan on sanding out the pitting and painting the flat surfaces Trim Black and leave the raised chrome around the top and around the shifter/ashtray and then paint the center groove down the length of the console body color to give it a bit of accent.

Pictures attached are for reference only I don't have access to pics of my actual parts right now but these are representative of what I have.

bmm-80885_ml.jpg

001.jpg

I wouldn't go to any effort to retain the OEM console. Nearly anything else would be better in my opinion. Something like that Hump Hugger for a Corvair would provide arm rest and cup holder(s). It might even marry up to that shifter bezel with similar effort.

I did something like that using a Hurst promatic2 shifter. I made my own new top plate, slotted for the shifter handle. Added a couple cup holders and painted the top plate silver with a black stripe down the center. I can't post pics right now, I'm at work. If you do a search for aftermarket shifter in a factory console you can probably find pics of it. I've posted them many times

Thanks, I've seen your pictures and it looks great! I'm going for something similar. If it's the same one it looks like you didn't use the gear indicator?
I did something like that using a Hurst promatic2 shifter. I made my own new top plate, slotted for the shifter handle. Added a couple cup holders and painted the top plate silver with a black stripe down the center. I can't post pics right now, I'm at work. If you do a search for aftermarket shifter in a factory console you can probably find pics of it. I've posted them many times

I wouldn't go to any effort to retain the OEM console. Nearly anything else would be better in my opinion. Something like that Hump Hugger for a Corvair would provide arm rest and cup holder(s). It might even marry up to that shifter bezel with similar effort.
Thanks Redfish. I like the OE console look. I bought one specifically for this purpose.

7.jpg

Here's the same console you have in my Duster. My top plate was pitted too so I painted it body color. I'll likely refinish it different somehow but not sure exactly what that will look like. I don't have a gear indicator but don't feel I need one either. That's a Hurst Quarter stick shifter. The shifter is fastened to the console top only and feels plenty sturdy to me. I made some aluminum angle iron brackets that attached to the existing studs on the bottom of the console. I did cut the bar that was between the shifter slot and the indicator slot to make room for the reverse lock out lever. I'll likely install 2 cup holders between the shifter and the flip up lid if I ever get around to refinishing it.

Cley

Here's the same console you have in my Duster. My top plate was pitted too so I painted it body color. I'll likely refinish it different somehow but not sure exactly what that will look like. I don't have a gear indicator but don't feel I need one either.
That's similar to what I wanted to do as far as color, except I want to do "Trim Black" on the top plate but do body color in the groove. I can do without the gear indicator myself but it will make it a bit more easy for either of my kids or the wife to take it for a spin if it was there.
Thanks for the pictures!

If the console is not original to the car, take some time and mock up the position of the shifter. I moved the console back a few inches and made a bracket to raise the shifter about two inches off the floor, to get it where it felt comfortable to use.

If the console is not original to the car, take some time and mock up the position of the shifter. I moved the console back a few inches and made a bracket to raise the shifter about two inches off the floor, to get it where it felt comfortable to use.
Great advice! I have a blank slate on the tunnel, it was originally a slant 6 with three on the tree. Making my own console brackets so placement will be anywhere I need it to be. I need to get my seat brackets done first and get them in the car for final adjustments.

Definitely get the seat in and a steering wheel. Once you find a good seating position then adjust your shifter location to that. it's your car, so make it fit you!

Cley

Thanks, I've seen your pictures and it looks great! I'm going for something similar. If it's the same one it looks like you didn't use the gear indicator?
That's it, I didn't use the Hurst gear indicator chrome cover.
Also as far as placement, I didn't what others just said. Get your seats and steering wheel in, then locate the shifter where you want it, and them make you own console brackets to locate it exactly where you want it. I did this, mounted the console as low as I could because I wanted the maximum amount of shifter handle sticking out of the console.

Great advice! I have a blank slate on the tunnel, it was originally a slant 6 with three on the tree. Making my own console brackets so placement will be anywhere I need it to be. I need to get my seat brackets done first and get them in the car for final adjustments.
I put a cheeta shifter in to an A body console. it took a bit of imagination and hacking, but it came out well. I did away w/ the ash tray and installed a removable cup holder. covered the top w/ black speaker mat`l. looks pretty good. only wish I had scooted the console , or shifter back some , seems too far forward in park. 1-2-3 no problem.

Got a little bit of time last night to examine the shifter and top plate a bit more carefully. Modifying the top plate to except the gear indicator (the Hammer Shifter has a sliding LED light on a rail that's moved by a cable connected to the shifter mechanism) looks like it is doable but due to the size of the shifter handle diameter and the short throw of the handle, the slot in the top plate will have to be modified heavily to accept it.
So if I'm going to have to modify it that much I might as well cut the raised area around the shifter slots completely out and modify it to receive the top that came with the shifter. I made a template from the shifter base and test fit it over my console plate and it looks like it will work really well with minimal work. Time to go and get some new cut off wheels for the Dremel...... I'll post pics when I get to working on it.

I did a similar mod with my Cheetah STS shifter. I even managed to leave room to install a pastry toaster where the old shifter slots were. Works awesome for Pop Tarts on-the-go!

IMG_20141009_214306_213.jpg

IMG_20141009_215822_726.jpg
IMG_20141009_214306_213.jpg
IMG_20141009_215822_726.jpg
IMG_20141010_165626_250.jpg

IMG_20141010_165626_250.jpg

So here's the game plan. Cut out the top plate shifter hump, use template to locate and cut slots for the snaps on the new shifter cover and drill two holes to mount the shifter mechanism directly to the OE top plate. Oh, and I got a new switch cover for the Man Cave.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Going to keep the hole for the ashtray as is, I'm going to make a sheet metal box, line it with felt and attach it to the underside of the hole. It can double as a phone/cup holder.

I had to cut a small notch in the front edge of the ashtray to clear the shifter mechanism. I am also going to install a cupholder this winter. I will leave the lid on it so it will be hidden most of the time.

So what did you guys use to cut your top plate? I was experimenting at the house (most of my tools are at the shop) with my dremel this weekend. I tried a 2-1/2" cut off wheel and a smaller Diamond Tip cut off wheel and that chrome plate just laughed at them. Was thinking I will have to get the big grinder with a 6" cut off blade to do the job and just take it slow for the big cuts but I'll need to figure out some thing different for the smaller more precise cuts. Maybe the die grinder or saw with the air tools....

-
Back