B&m Ratchet shifter question.

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
My 74 duster has a B&m star shifter in it. However the ratcheting doesn't work (banging from 1 too 2 to 3rd)

What is my best option? Replace it with a better shifter? Hurst? Or a higher quality B&m??

Thanks

No. how do I find that!!??
Remove the cover for the shifter

in the pic where the spring is (under)
are the pivot points that need cleaned and oiled to free them up

SAM_3878_zpssowaknfj.jpg

are we sure that the ratchet isn't working properly...and the cable is laying on a header tube?

Not sure. The cable from the shifter? Just look under the car?
Yes the cable from the shifter. These just use a steel cable inside a plastic sheath. just like a bicycle cable. nothing fancy. It's extremely common for the plastic sheath to melt on exhaust, or even "sand itself down" on the transmission case or something. Rendering you with a steel cable that no longer slides inside the sheath, it just pulls on nothing.

upload_2016-10-28_9-57-54.png

It's not impossible for shifter mech to have busted a snap ring or something, but it's more common to kill a cable. just throwing it out there. If you end up needing a shifter let me know. I do 5% off for members, and i carry B&M, Hurst, ETC.

IMG_0748.JPG
Yes the cable from the shifter. These just use a steel cable inside a plastic sheath. just like a bicycle cable. nothing fancy. It's extremely common for the plastic sheath to melt on exhaust, or even "sand itself down" on the transmission case or something. Rendering you with a steel cable that no longer slides inside the sheath, it just pulls on nothing.

View attachment 1714983728
I can still go from park to r n drive no prob. Is this cable specific to the ratcheting part?

View attachment 1714983732
I can still go from park to r n drive no prob. Is this cable specific to the ratcheting part?
The cable is on a one trick pony, it controls all the shift positions...but the sheath could still be stretching to not click it down all the way or something to that effect.

Take the handle off, then unscrew hat plastic cover and lift it up, and see if the pin that is attached to the cable (under that silver cover) moves with every click.

-
Back