B or RB

• B

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • RB

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Use the 440. You have it all ready and sometimes those $300 engines end up being good money after bad.

Take the 383 and stroke it to 496, I did it my challenger and even with exhaust manifolds, it has nearly 600 ft.lb. tq.

I missed the poll to vote but, you have a 440 RB and know of a 383 B that you can get for a good price, but NOTHING beats HAVING a motor. I say, use what ya have, and even tho I OWN a 383 and can't say nothing against it, you still OWN the 440..........

Was raised "you use what you have".......Altho, I'd LOVE to have a 440 in my truck but, the 383 is gonna stay!

For a stroker, either will do. Which ever is cheaper!

For a non-stroker 440 all day.

Lately I've noticed 440's have dropped in price and are available and 400's have gone up and are less avaiable

For a stroker, either will do. Which ever is cheaper!

For a non-stroker 440 all day.

Lately I've noticed 440's have dropped in price and are available and 400's have gone up and are less avaiable

But still out there in abundance. I just added another thick web 230 casting 400 to my collection a few days ago for $350. Guy had 5 other later 400s which I may go back for if he drops his prices.

But still out there in abundance. I just added another thick web 230 casting 400 to my collection a few days ago for $350. Guy had 5 other later 400s which I may go back for if he drops his prices.
He already has a 440. I could see a 400 if he had nothing.

He already has a 440. I could see a 400 if he had nothing.

Earlier I suggested he go for the 383 he knew about, this is just an expansion of that idea for the future. His 440 is just a '78 short block that needs rebuilt. If it was a complete running engine I'd definitely suggest he just drop that in and go have fun, but that's not the case.

That 383 he knows of might run perfect as-is, so he'd be time and money ahead. Even if it doesn't, 383's and 400's are easy to find in good running condition. Plus any pieces he buys for it would bolt right on a 400 stroker, which IMO is the best bang for the buck BB wedge you can build.

He asked for opinions, I gave mine.

-
Back