B029 cars.

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I was reading the B029 Authentication Guide by Jim Schild and Larry Griffith and they mentioned that the Mule car was actually a 67 Formula S Fastback.
I found this very interesting, however I cant seem to find any actual evidence that this car was a 67. The pics I found were of a 68??
Questions;
1.Was it a 67 or 68? did they change it to look like a 68?
2.Did they just change the side lights to look like a 68?
3.What happened to this Mule Car
4.What was the original color combo? some say red and white while somewhere else says orange and yellow??
5.Yep you guessed it, if one of you guys has any color pics of this car can you please post them on here so we can all see. :)

As always guys, your assistance is appreciated.

Here is the pic's I found.

I talked to Bob Torozzi last May in person about this.

He said the car came from the place they stored pre production cars they ran on the assembly line to figure stuff out. Cars did not linger around that place for very long. They were usually gutted of parts and used to do individual test like endurance testing a cutout door assembly opening and closing 20,000 times. Or a windshield wiper motor setup on a test jig for repeated use. Or subjecting a part to a salt spray for rust testing. etc etc etc. Those cars would not have vins. So Tarozzi and the group got what they got. That's why it has deluxe interior and wood steering wheel. Not thier choice.

So the car would not have been a left over 67. But since it was pre-production the car might have some 67 features to it. The car has 68 front and rear window moldings. As you Barracuda guys know, that is a pain in the @ss to switch over. They did not have time to jerk around switching moldings. If they did, they would have switched the door panels, steering wheel, etc in the interior which is much easier.

The original car has been found. The lawyer McGurder (sp?) had it and was building a museum in Arizona. Then something changed and he sold off most/all his cars.

Bob hand made the very first offset master cylinder bracket himself. So when he went out to look at the car in AZ that was claimed to be the mule car, he took the adapter off it.... Sure enough his original scribe and cut marks were on the back of that plate. That plate is hand made in a way different than others.

Also the car had some different paint schemes that don't show up in common pictures. The layers of paint showed those paint schemes. Bob has meticulous notes on his projects. He even has the paint codes for each paint scheme and his original hand sketch drawn over a Barracuda in a dealer brochure.

IIRC, it's restored to the paint scheme you see in the magazine articles taken during the winter testing at Irwindale. There's some interesting story behind the previous paint scheme. IIRC, Chrysler didn't like it and made him change it. I can't remember the details.

Bob Tarozzi is a really incredible guy!

I really like hearing about the history of the early cars and if they survived the years. I've read the article about Bob Torozzi in Mopar Action and the man is an automotive wizard.
I have a friend that has probably first Hemi car made. John's car has the Max Wedge hood and was a Chrysler test mule. Before John bought it, the car sat in a garage 1/2 mile down the street from my house. I remember seeing it as a kid in the late 60's when I rode my bike past the house.

-
Back