Back glass install frustration

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
The other day I roped in my back glass. It went in very smoothly with a friend pushing gently on the outside as I pulled the rope around the inside. Except for the right lower corner.

I finally persuaded the rope around that sharp angle, but the glass does not feel fully seated there. I can flex it up and down about 1/8" to 3/16", compared to the other corner and everywhere else where it feels rock-solid. I can't see very well into the corner but can only assume that the gasket lip didn't pop over the pinch weld way down at the tip.

Any suggestions? I have no experience with this kind of work. Should I just keep trying to pick it (I have a ball-end pick tool on the way) or take the glass/gasket assembly out and start over? Worrying about breaking the glass with too much handling, or tearing the gasket... thanks.

I use these and liberal amount of glass cleaner to help it slide
44AA9FE6-B11F-4F37-9343-F359577575B0.gif

You always start in the bottom middle and work toward the middle top.

And I did.
The problem occurred at the right bottom corner.

I don't think the glass could be warped, or the pinch weld so crooked... still figure the gasket lip not properly seated. I have nylon pry tools, just can't reach down all the way to the corner. May have to make something...

You always start in the bottom middle and work toward the middle top.
This
I've only done one with rope. 74 Dart. Never would have got those corners if we had not started at the bottom. Have someone push in a little on the corners as the rope pulls the gasket in.

This
I've only done one with rope. 74 Dart. Never would have got those corners if we had not started at the bottom. Have someone push in a little on the corners as the rope pulls the gasket in.
Hey I remember that! Thanks again it was a *****!

Hey I remember that! Thanks again it was a *****!
Eh, not that bad. I think I started to rope it the other way and switched it when I thought about the corners, Other than those corners that one was easy.

Never would have got those corners if we had not started at the bottom. Have someone push in a little on the corners as the rope pulls the gasket in.

Is anyone actually reading my posts? :( I DID all those things, and it DIDN'T work, in ONE CORNER. :BangHead:

The question is, should I take the time/effort to try and "pick" the gasket in that corner, or remove it and start all over again? Which is less likely to result in a damaged gasket (or worse, broken glass)?

What is this?
A fastback Barracuda?
I had a problem on a fast back B Body.
Could see daylight at the lower left corner between body and rubber.
I think it is just not a good of a rubber fit as OE back in the day.
I suspect that is your problem.
Poor rubber fit.
I've that problem on the front of cars as well.
Poor fit.
(I used polyurethane sealer to fill it, but my interior was out.)
If you have to remove, cut the gasket.
It's usually cheaper than glass.

What is this?
A fastback Barracuda?

Whoops, I left out that little piece of info... it's a 72 Dart Swinger so the glass curves inwards. Those long pointy corners are a :mad:to get the rope around.

If you have to remove, cut the gasket.
It's usually cheaper than glass.

Not that much cheaper :rolleyes: about half the price of another glass though! Thanks.

That's why I'm waiting another 3 weeks for a guy with a good windshield to bring it with him as he passes through... shipping is at least $100.

But the back glass is just small enough to go FedEx (at least it did from CarID) for $25.

Is anyone actually reading my posts? :( I DID all those things, and it DIDN'T work, in ONE CORNER. :BangHead:

The question is, should I take the time/effort to try and "pick" the gasket in that corner, or remove it and start all over again? Which is less likely to result in a damaged gasket (or worse, broken glass)?
yes, I did read...
It sounds like you pulled the rope from top down. I'm saying you need to start pulling from bottom center. If you already did that; everything else sounds right.
If you try picking at it be sure you have no sharp edges. I roughed up a corner on my front gasket with a edge on a plastic trim tool. After that I sanded them smooth. But, you said you can't see the corner. So, not seeing that as a likely success. I would most likely pull it and start over.
That glass is actually pretty tough with one exception. If you hit an edge too hard it will disintegrate in a million pieces. Been there, done that.
Good luck!

Yep. Started at bottom center. I did a lot of reading before attempting this with a $200 glass ;)

Thanks for the tip, I will make sure anything I pick with is completely smooth. I ordered one of those bent screwdrivers with a small ball on the end designed for gasket work. If I can start a few inches from the corner and slide it all the way down and around the corner it should work. I hope!

Got home from trip and pick tool was in the mail. I do think the gasket wasn't 100% seated in that corner. Now it is, but there is still just a little flex in the glass there. The other corner is solid.

But I can see through the glass to the pinch weld area, and the inner surface of the gasket-to-glass lip, and it's seated and doesn't move when I push on the glass. The flex is in the glass itself. Guess it's very slightly warped (or the replaced quarter is). Probably will just need an extra squirt of butyl sealer (or even urethane since I don't plan on replacing it any time soon).

Naturally I can't find the rear window trim, and I could have sworn I had it in the pile of chrome strips. And so it goes...

-
Back