Back Glass Rubber

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
Ok, not sure if I asked this already over here, but I'm needing some new rubber for the back glass for my 64 Valiant. Layson's advertises them, but doesn't have any the last time I checked.

Another question if I can't find any new stuff then what's the best way to clean and seal the old one good?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Try calling Metro SuperSoft
1-877-272-5275
I saw these guys at the Del Mar car show this weekend. They've got everything.

Stu

Thanks for the replies, but I've tried Metro and Hardens already. Harden's isn't too far from me.

Lee

Usually lacquer thinner will clean up the old rubber nicely if you can't find a replacement. Actually even if you can find a new replacement, lacquer thinner will still clean up the old one. :) Then use any good rubber dressing once you've gotten it clean.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying steele today to see what they tell me.

Lee

How much did you guys pay for your rear window seal anyway? Moparlee, let me know if you get a price from steele, thanX.

I got mine out of j.c. whitney....Just matched up the channel size and ordered it hoping it would work. Not the easiest job installing but it did work and I think it doesn't leak.(new mexico doesn't get much rain.)Aso had to order the channel strip too. I used the chrome strip.

Hello! This is my first post! I am restoring a 64 cuda. I was able to order the rubber seal from a local glass shop, in which my brother-in-law works. I got front and back and they are a perfect match. Of course, I couldn't find the source. Fair warning guys, I will be asking alot of questions, here shortly.
Marcia

Welcome, I'm still kind of new her also. I guess.

Ya, the Cuda's and the Dart's are able to to get the back glass rubbers for. The windshields are the same in all three, it's the back glass rubber that's different.

Ya, lets see some pictures when you get a chance.

Lee

I believe this is what I got from jcwhitney for my 63 dart back glass.

Weatherstrip with Separate Lock-strip, (Style E) 1/16" Body Panel Thickness Roll ZX812497Y $32.99 They also have the lock strip.

Chrome Locking Strip for Weatherstrip Roll ZX812569U $15.99

They also offer samples if you call the number listed.

NOBODY makes it for the 63-65 Valiant. I have tried everyone every year for 10 years with no success. Laysons is the only one trying and the last time I called I was given a date of August or ealier. You can try to make one but the lower corners will eventualy leak. You can dip it in mineral spirits but eventualy it will also leak. I've tried it all. Avoid the rain, carry towels, drill a hole in each trunk well and pull the plug out of the spare well.

One way to tell if it is leaking is the back package tray will start to warp.

i have had good luck with dantes auto parts as well as jack auto parts. my front/rear that laysons actually had in stock, just went into my 68 fastback and they were precision parts brand.

-
Back