Back in a toad!

-

mikeys toy

asshole
Reaction score
Just picked up a rough 61 v200 4door, 170/904. I should be hopefully picking up a 62 v100 170/3sp 2dr post soon.
What I want to know is if the 61 cluster pod will fit the 62 dash? I’m aware of the wiring differences.
If not, can the dash be removed with the windshield in place?
The plan is to get the 61 up and running to make sure it’s all that and a bag of chips, if/when I get the 62, the best parts will be going on it.
I’m gonna sell the 62 savoy to fund this monstrosity…….

IMG_0207.png

IMG_0057.jpeg

I want to know is if the 61 cluster pod will fit the 62 dash?

No. The clusters and dashboards are physically very different. Not even close to a bolt-in. You'd have to swap the complete dashboard-and-cluster if you gotta-gotta-gotta have a '61 cluster in a '62 car or vice-versa.

The plan is to get the 61 up and running to make sure it’s all that and a bag of chips, if/when I get the 62, the best parts will be going on it.

There are a bunch of big and little walls blocking parts interchange between '60-'61 and '62 A-bodies.

No. The clusters and dashboards are physically very different. Not even close to a bolt-in. You'd have to swap the complete dashboard-and-cluster if you gotta-gotta-gotta have a '61 cluster in a '62 car or vice-versa.

There are a bunch of big and little walls blocking parts interchange between '60-'61 and '62 A-bodies.
I’ve noticed. The cluster is decent in the 61, it’s junk in the 62

IMG_0096.jpeg

The fenders aren’t supposed to be interchangeable between 60/61 and 62, but the 62 has a 60 front clip brazed on, and the 61 has a 62 fender bolted to it. What’s different between them?

I think the windshield has to be removed to unbolt the complete dash in any A body 1960-1976 for all flavors produced.

It's difficult, but not impossible. But if the screws are rusted then it becomes even harder. Need a right angled screw driver.

I restored the cluster in my 1965 Dart, and other chromed plastic trim. First, I soaked it in Super Clean (Walmart) to remove the flaky chrome, using a tip from model car hobbyists. The result looked like the cream-plastic in post 5. I had a chemical chrome substitute coating by a local place (Sacramento Chrome, I recall). I think they used a process you can see in youtubes (2-part wash). Charged me $105 for ~6 pieces. I polished the clear lens. Yours would be trickier since looks like the plastic cracked off around the ignition switch.

I've bought spare clusters and dash instruments for my 1964 & 65 on ebay, fairly inexpensively. Takes time for them to show up. Parts searching is a long-term task for classic owners, but amazing what you find sometimes. Flipside, is when selling excess it takes years for a buyer to show, and some are overly fussy, even when you price something almost free and just to pay for shipping.

I think the windshield has to be removed to unbolt the complete dash in any A body 1960-1976 for all flavors produced.
I removed my 62 dash with the windshield still in.
I replaced the Phillip head screws with Allen head screws to reinstall it.
DSCN1105.JPG

Got them out, they were 5/16” headed screws. I was able to get a thin nut driver in to remove them. There are a few minor differences, hopefully I won’t have to cut/weld anything.
I’m doing this because the 62 cluster was destroyed, I don’t have $300 for the only one I could find, and I have a working 61 unit

-
Back